1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2021 11:03 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking surrendered land bounty warrants for 1855

    J Russell Newbie

      Where can I find surrendered land bounty warrants [not the applications] for the 1855 warrants? Yes I have the land bounty application already. I am trying to see who the land was issued to. Yes, I realize most were sold.

        • Re: Seeking surrendered land bounty warrants for 1855
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Russell,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Please begin by going to the U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Land

          Management’s “General Land Office Records” (GLO Records) website. Click on “Search Documents”. Change “Location” from “Alabama” to “Any State” (at the bottom of the list). Enter the surname in the “Last Name” field. If surname is common, you might want to add a first name. Search using alternate spellings if needed.  Hit “Search Patents.” In the list you get, “Accession” numbers that start with “MW” relate to land given for military bounty land warrants; other designations may also relate to warrants for military service. Click on the Accession number. The next screen gives you “Patent Details” that includes information you need to see the related “Surrendered Bounty Land Warrant file” at the National Archives. The “Patent Image” is a copy of the Patent (deed) the patentee received. It includes the name of the military unit in which the warrantee (receiver of the Bounty Land Warrant) served. You may download and print this for free. The “Related Documents” gives you links to learn who the neighbors were in the same Section.


          To obtain the “Surrendered Bounty Land Warrant File” from the National Archives, NARA staff need the name of the “Patentee” plus three pieces of information from the “Patent Details” page: (1) “Authority” (Act of Congress); (2) Number of Acres; and (3) “Document Number” (that’s the warrant number). These records are not online or on microfilm. To order a copy of this file, please download and fill out a NATF Form 84 and mail it to the form listed on the website. If you have any additional questions about the records or the ordering process, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) Archives1reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. NARA has also temporarily suspended the option for placing online orders using eservices.archives.gov. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!