5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 3:03 PM by Yikwon Kim

How can I find a history of Korean-American immigrants in U.S.

I am very interested in learning about a history of Asian-American immigrants in U.S., and especially in Korean-American.

Do NARA has any holdings about it?

• Re: How can I find a history of Korean-American immigrants in U.S.
          Alan Walker

Hello,

Here is a post that will help get you started: How do I search Immigration records?

Yikwon Kim wrote:

I am very interested in learning about a history of Asian-American immigrants in U.S., and especially in Korean-American.

Do NARA has any holdings about it?

Dear Yikwon Kim:

The National Archives at San Francisco has over 400,000 immigration case files documenting the immigration and naturalization of individuals from the 1880s to the 1970s - mostly immigrants from Asia. The holdings include at least 400 immigration case files for immigrants from Korea prior to World War II. These files typically contain affidavits, visas, transcripts of hearings, and correspondence. Are you searching for information about specific individuals or are you searching for historical information about Asian immigration?

Hi William,

Good to hear from you.

I am interested in searching for not specific but general historical

information about  Asian immigration and especially for Korean immigrants.

Many thanks for your efforts, and hoping to learn more about it.

Best,

Yikwon

Hi Yikwon,

Perhaps you have consulted historical works already, but there are a now a large number of books about Asian immigration. For example:

Strangers from a Different Shore by Ronald Takaki

Angel Island, Immigrant Gateway to America by Erika Lee and Judy Yung

Professor Wayne Patterson has published two books on the subject of Korean immigration:

The Korean Frontier in America: Immigration to Hawaii, 1896-1910

The Ilse: First-Generation Korean Immigrants in Hawaii, 1903-1973

And Professor Yong-Ho Ch'Oe has published From the Land of Hibiscus: Koreans in Hawaii, 1903-1950

An excellent selection of archival documents related to Asian immigration have been reproduced on microfilm by University Publications of America:

Research Collections in American Immigration

RECORDS OF THE IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE

Series A: Subject Correspondence Files

Part 1: Asian Immigration and Exclusion, 1906–1913, 30 reels ISBN 1-55655-160-6

Supplement to Part 1: Asian Immigration and Exclusion, 1898–1941, 16 reels ISBN 1-55655-605-5

The original copies of these documents are housed at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. as part of the Immigration and Naturalization Service series Subject and Policy Files, 1893 - 1957 (https://catalog.archives.gov/id/559947). As far as I know, none of this microfilm selection has been digitized, but we have all 46 rolls of microfilm available for use here at the National Archives at San Francisco. You may also find this set at some university libraries across the U.S.

2 of 2 people found this helpful