1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 3, 2021 10:03 AM by Shannon Kerner

Seeking boot camp graduation picture at Fort Knox

Margaret Mittleman Newbie

I am seeking a boot camp graduation picture for my husband, Mark Andrew Mittleman.  He graduated from Fort Knox, KY in Dec 1969.  I would like a picture of him in uniform.  He does not remember if a picture was taken; and did not send one home.

• Re: Seeking boot camp graduation picture at Fort Knox
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Ms. Mittleman,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Group photographs were not considered permanent records unless the photographs were taken by official military photographers usually for publicity. Photographs of various U.S. Army  activities from 1940 to 2007 (that are permanent) are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Usually, the instructor of a training facility paid a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures. These photographs sometimes are filed in the records of the unit but oftentimes they are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!