1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 9:22 AM by Catherine Brandsen

Film Storage

I need help with permanent storage for film. I'm creating a digital archive of scanned film, then I need to store the film, both still and movie. I have no idea where to start. Can you help me?

• Re: Film Storage
          Catherine Brandsen Adventurer

Ideal conditions for storing black and white films are 55 degrees Fahrenheit with 45% relative humidity. To slow fading, color films are best stored at 32 degrees Fahrenheit and 45% relative humidity.

In the absence of ideal storage conditions, films can still survive for decades as long as they are kept in a stable environment that is not too hot, too dry, or too wet. Find an area with stably low temperatures, low humidity, and protection from flooding, air pollutants, and sunlight. A closet or cabinet on the main floor of a building are often the best choice. A film stored in a darkened area at 70 degrees Fahrenheit year round will fare much better than a film stored in a basement or attic with extreme fluctuations in temperature or humidity.

Avoid storing your motion picture film in a non-climate-controlled basement or on the floor where water, insects, or rodents might damage it. Damp conditions may accelerate conditions such as vinegar syndrome or encourage mold growth on the film. Insects and rodents may eat film emulsion.

Some additional guidance and links are here: Motion Picture Film Guidance: Storage of Materials

and here is some guidance on storing papers and photographs: Storing Family Papers and Photographs

2 of 2 people found this helpful