2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2021 1:20 PM by Rebecca Brown

Seeking records of 342nd Airborne Squadron & 1013th Quartermaster Platoon

Annette Thompson Newbie

I am looking for information about the 342nd Airborne Squadron and the 1013th Quartermaster Platoon in 1943 at Hobbs Army Air Base. My father was stationed at Hobbs Army Air Base in 1943. The yearbook I have is unusual in that it includes photos of the black airmen. They were separated from the other men on the base in housing, recreation activities and leisure spaces. The housing was separated by a strip of land. The airmen could not train as pilots. Many were mechanics for the bombers, five allowed to fly only to check out repairs needed or done. Very little is said of these men or what happened to them during or after the war. How do I find out information about this. I would like to write articles pertaining to this part of our history.

• Re: Seeking records of 342nd Airborne Squadron & 1013th Quartermaster Platoon
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Thompson,

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may contain records of the 1013th Quartermaster Platoon during WWII. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

RDT2 also has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force units and bases. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 10 files that pertain to the Hobbs Army Airfield during WWII. Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. Since the reel numbers begin with B, please contact RDT2  for access to them. We were unable to locate records of the 342nd Airborne Squadron.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Records of the 342nd Airborne Squadron may be in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112-6424. These files often include historical reports.  Please write to that office for further information concerning these records. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.

Lastly, we suggest reviewing these websites for background information: The Quartermaster Corps: Operations in the War Against Germany and Hobbs Army Airfield.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

• Re: Seeking records of 342nd Airborne Squadron & 1013th Quartermaster Platoon
            Rebecca Brown Adventurer

Ms. Thompson,

The book "Blacks in the American Armed Forces, 1776-1983" is a bibliographic listing of African Americans in WWII.

It was compiled by Lenwood G. Davis and George Hill. A publication of Greenwood press. You may be able to find a copy in your local library or a college library.

Hope this helps.