23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2021 8:51 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking grave/burial location of Pvt Louis/Lewis Schuch

Keith Schuch Wayfarer

I am looking for the grave of Pvt Louis Schuch, 10th Ohio Infantry, E Company. He was shot and taken to the Regimental Field Hospital. He was killed Sept 10,1861 at the Battle of Carnifex Ferry. His Cousin was at the battle in same unit and he was listed on Regimental Death Lists so I would think he would not have been buried as an Unknown Soldier. I have checked the Battle Field where it was said some of the dead were buried but later moved to VA cemeteries in the 1890s . I checked at Grafton Cemetery and the VA online data base and found no records. I have looked on Find-A-Grave and Ancestry.com but found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: Seeking grave/burial location of Pvt Louis/Lewis Schuch
          Alice Lane Pioneer

Hi Keith,

Welcome to History Hub

Found 2 webpages for you, but no burial place

Would be able to give a little more information about Louis, birthdate, state that he lived in, parents names, name of cousin that you mentioned. Thank you

Soldier Details - The Civil War (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Battle Unit Details - The Civil War (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Keith Schuch Wayfarer

Alice

Thank you very much for helping me. His German name was Ludwig Conrad Schuch but he went by Louis in the states. He was born 24 June 1845 so he was only 16 when he died. He lived in Cincinnati, Ohio with his parents Louis Carl Schuch and Elizabeth his sister Elizabeth and cousin George Schuch who was also in the 10th Ohio. He was born in Raboldshausen in the state of Hesse Cassel, Germany. I did check Spring Grove Cemetery and Vine St Cemetery in Cincinnati where other relatives were buried. George Schuch is buried in the National Cemetery in Dayton Ohio. The only path forward might be to figure out where some of the others from his unit were buried. Grafton is the closest Cemetery to the battlefield but his name isn't listed there either. I did hear that many of the dead were moved from Carnifex Ferry to National Cemeteries in the 1890's but he isn't listed in the National Cemetery Database for anywhere in the US. Thanks again for all your efforts to help me find the Grave of this 16 year old hero who gave his live for his new country.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Hello Keith,

I have found alternate spellings of your relative and they are all document by military at that time. Here are the spelling variations that they have on file. Each of these variations are consistent with the unit and regiment he served. Some people in those days mind you did not know how to spell or may have been illiterate. I did find a civil war pension that was filled by his mother in 1864, and another later on by his mother and father being listed on application here it is below.  (Click on Images to enlarge). Also military history on the battle look top left talks about the 10th Ohio Regiment suffering heavy losses.

Also Have you tried Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati, OH, I beleive that his parents are burrried there Louis C. Schauch and Elizabeth Schuch  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/79035383/louis-c-schuch

1860's Census:

Lewis Schuch

Louis Schuch

Lewis Schuck

Louis Schuck

Keith Schuch Wayfarer

Elliot thank you for helping me. I have all the info that you found. I have his Army Records and Pension records. His Cousin George Schuch was in the same unit and they have his grave site in the National Cemetery in Dayton Ohio. Ancestry.com had his grave stone order form but nothing other than a copy of the listings of dead soldiers which showed he was taken to the Regimental Hospital where he was treated by the Regimental Surgeon and listed his a dead from a gunshot wound. So he made it there and they knew his name so he should not be buried in an Unknown Soldier Grave unless they messed up which I can understand they might have done. Like I told Alice maybe if we could find out where some of the other soldiers were buried that died that day at Carnifex Ferry or where they were moved to in the 1890's when the state of W.VA moved a lot of soldiers graves to National Cemeteries. He is not listed in the National VA Cemetery database for any National Cemetery and Find a Grave doesn't list him anywhere. Thanks again for your hard work. I have been looking for 5 years and pretty much ran into a brick wall that's why I was hoping some of you researchers might have some fresh clues. 

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Keith,

Do you have this? Look at the middle right it states he is buried in Willow Cemetery in Toledo, OH.

Here this is where he is buried.   https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43675646/lewis-schuck

1 person found this helpful
                          Keith Schuch Wayfarer

Elliot

I am sorry to say that that card is not for the right person. Louis Schuch was in the 10th Ohio Co D not the 74th NY Inf and would have been buried in 1861 or when the state of WV moved bodies to National Cemeteries 1890's. I tried Find a Grave for Lewis /Louis  Schuch/Schuck with no luck. Thanks for looking.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Keith,

I just found something look at this from the Hamilton County, OH records, and look what I found three of the men all from your individuals unit buried here at the following but it looks like they were all killed at the Battle of Perryville, KY

Stones River National Cemetery

Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee, USA

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/124021878/george-aichenger

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/125021542/cornelius-haley

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/125272275/bernard-king

Killed in Battle. -- Privates, George AICHENGER, John COROCAN, Cornelius

HALEY, Bernard KING, Louis SHUCK.

Book page image

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Keith,

I'm going out on a limb here, but have you collaborated and talked with Lewis Schuch/Schuck cousin George Schuch/Schuck side of the family over the years. If they were in the same company and regiment George must have known something or heard anything over the years that may have been passed down. Might be a great start.

Elliot Schneider

Keith Schuch Wayfarer

Elliot

Unfortunately I am the last of the George Schuch line and no one in the family knew anything about the Louis or George. All we knew about ancestors was that we were mostly German and Irish. In 2006 I got on Ancestry.com and started digging. I asked my Dad and he had no clue any farther back than his Grandfather. George Schuch was in some heavy combat and probably saw his 16 year old cousin Louis killed in front of his eyes. He survived Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and worst of all The Battle of Franklin. When he returned he drank and did not support his family. He hit his wife and went to jail for it and later she divorced him. I am sure he had PTSD. After the divorce he left and went to the National Soldiers Home in Dayton,Oh where he died a few years later. My Grandfather was only 5 when he died and probably never met him. I imagine he was the black sheep of the family and no one talked about him much. It was neat finding out more about him and when I worked in Germany I got to go to the village where he was born and found out he was a "real" Bastard from church records who said his mother was not married to the father when he was baptized. 

I checked 1st Sgt John Kennedy who was also killed at Carnifex Ferry and he has no grave location either. I will check some more of the dead from the battle and maybe see if I can find where they were buried. I imagine they all went to the same place unless the bodies were sent home. Thanks again for trying.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Keith,

I had a conversation with the West Virginia State Historical society today. They told me that all the bodies that were marked confederate and union were moved except one confederate solider left buried near the Patterson house/ battle field. They told me that all the bodies that were not retrieved by families before they were relocated ended up at Grafton National Cemetery. They also told me that a good portion of the 10th OVI bodies that were relocated are most likely in the graves of the unknowns, he mentioned something like a few hundred. So chances are if the Schuch/Schuck family in those days did not respond to letters pertaining to their son he said that bodies were reinterred in the Grafton National Cemetery.

Say you stated that he was treated by regimental hospital? Do you have paperwork on this or is this what you assumed. They told me that if you knew the name of the hospital he may have been treated at before succumbing to his wounds you might be able to find if the hospital used a different burial site aside from the actual battlefield.

I did find that the Dietz House was used for a hospital https://www.theclio.com/entry/26398

http://irishamericancivilwar.com/after-action-reports/10th-ohio-infantry-regiment/10th-ohio-carnifex-ferry-10th-septembe…

Look at age #168 or actual book page 146  https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.c058592409&view=1up&seq=168

Keith Schuch Wayfarer

Elliot

Thanks again for going to all this trouble. I looked on Grafton National Cemetery database and looked for names of the 10th from the battle and none were listed there or any other National Cemetery. Grafton has over 900 Unknown Soldiers buried there. I talked to Grafton Cemetery and she said there was no records of him but she believed Grafton was the only Cemetery that soldiers would be moved to in the 1890's. She assumed he was probably buried there as an unknown. I did find a couple of Soldiers from the 11th Ohio who died in Summersville ( Near Carnifex Ferry) from measles who were listed by name in Grafton three months after the battle in hospital.

I have a list of the dead or Death registry that listed Soldiers who were killed or died from disease during the Civil War with his name on it . His name, unit and cause of death (a Latin word they used for gunshot ) and the name of the Regimental Surgeon. So I am assuming he was taken to a hospital rather than just having it be reported that someone saw him dead in the field as they walked past. The registry did not list a hospital.

If the bodies were moved sometime in the 1890's by the state of WV his parents would be dead by then so they would not have requested the body sent back home then. His Cousin George Schuch did go AWOL after the Unit took leave in Cincinnati while in transit to Louisville several months after the battle I don't know if he may have brought the body back with him for burial but I doubt it.

Elliot I think we have exausted all the possibilites that we can. I assume he was buried in Grafton with the unknown after the state consolidated all the war graves. I can take some comfort in knowing that I visited Grafton National Cemetery where he probably was and was able to say a prayer for the 16 year old German boy who gave his life for his new country. Thank you so very much.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Keith,

Did you see my earlier response was that Louis C. Schuch was buried with his wife Elizabeth at the following and he died in 1888 so if this is Louis/Lewis Schuch/Schuck father he would have been alive to reclaim body sometime between the end of the war and the time died. But sine Lewis died early in the war I'm sure traveling to a mostly confederate controlled state would be a gamble especially at the height of the war. I guess I would not want to risk traveling during the height of the war to retrieve a body. On the other note I did find a newspaper article from Cincinnati showing in the paper about wife filing for divorce and him being sent to the tank for a week for family abuse and so forth. Pretty much in line with what you mentioned earlier.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/79035383/louis-c-schuch

Well wish you luck on your search

Elliot Schneider

P.S try looking in the Assistant Surgeon Horace R. Writz he is the one who was mentioned in regimental memoirs that was seen on the battle field attending to the deceased. He might have some documents. Maybe  R.L. McCook has some journals or papers somewhere.

Keith Schuch Wayfarer

Elliot

Thanks  I know about Louis Carl and Elizebeth Schuch's grave and I saw the article you saw in the Cin Enq. I assume his son was buried on the battlefield until the 1890's when the State of WVA collected all the bodies and placed them in Grafton National Cemetery. I assume they tried to contact families to see if they wanted to claim their relatives bodies in the 1890's and if they did not hear from the families they buried them in Grafton. The father and mother would have been dead by then. The mother and father were poor and ill and I doubt they could have afforded to collect their sons body from the battlefield even if they wanted. I will look into the Assistant Surgeon you mentioned. I am 90% sure Louis Schuch was buried in Grafton as an unknown soldier and I am at peace with that. You are a very good researcher. You found in a week what it took me years to piece together bit by bit. Thanks ever so much and good luck helping other people who have questions.

Alice Lane Pioneer

Keith,

Do you have this? Has film number.

Soldier Details - The Civil War (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Schuch, Louis

BATTLE UNIT NAME:
                                    10th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
                                    SIDE:
                                    Union
                                    COMPANY:
                                    I
                                    SOLDIER'S RANK IN:
                                    Private
                                    SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:
                                    Private
                                    ALTERNATE NAME:
                                    Lewis/Schuch
                                    FILM NUMBER:
                                    M552 ROLL 95
                                    PLAQUE NUMBER:
                                    NOTES:

Alice Lane

Keith Schuch Wayfarer

Yes Alice I have both his Military Record and his pension record. I also have his cousin's George Schuch's record and pension file. For those who are researching an ancestor in the Civil War the Pension files are extremely helpful. To get a pension a person or their relatives had to fill out all sorts of information forms which lists addresses, family members, and letters about the families situations. The files include a full physical and description of the Soldier. It was interesting his disability claims every possible ailment he might have had to try and get more money. A hundred years later military members try the same thing to get as much money from disability as they can. The more things change the more they stay the same. Thanks Alice.

Alice Lane Pioneer

Keith, Could this be your George Schuch

PinterestGeorge Schuch, Company E, 183rd Ohio Infantry

Uploaded by Kraig McNutt

Might be a good idea to contact Mr. McNutt he also has loads of Ohio Civil War Photos at the following

Pinterest

George Schuch, Company E, 183rd Ohio Infantry

https://www.pinterest.com/tellinghistory/

https://www.pinterest.com/tellinghistory/
                                        Kraig McNutt

149 followers

Looks like Elliot found what you were looking for, he's a real go-getter
                                        Alice Lane
                                          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Schuch,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The War Department didn’t retain records for reburials other than those to national cemeteries.  If the family claimed the body and he was reburied in a private cemetery, the National Archives would not have a record of it.

We hope this is helpful.