3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2021 1:59 PM by Jacob Seley

    Seeking why father was in hospital & what was he recovering from

    Sandy Burbach Newbie

      How can I find out why my father was in the hospital during the Korean War and what he was recovering from?  My father was in the 5th Marine Regiment- 1st Battalion during the Korean War. His Chronological Record of Primary Duties states that while he was fighting in Korea, Under Primary Duty: sk hosp, Duty Mos. -, Dates: 17Sep51 - 30Sep51, Proficiency: -, I can't make out the signature. However, just prior to his admittance to the hospital, his Primary Duty, it listed him as "Ammo Carrier 81mm, Duty Mos.: 0300, Dates: 1Aug51-16Sep51, Proficiency: 6, a line through where a signature would go. The next entry after being released from the hospital shows Primary Duty: BasWpnsRepMan, Duty Mos.: 2100, Dates: 10Oct51 - Oct 31 1951, Proficiency: 6, Signature of Marking Officer: R. K. Buchanan.

          • Re: Seeking why father was in hospital & what was he recovering from
            Sandy Burbach Newbie

            Hi Elliot,


            Yes, my Father's name is Edmond F. Kuenster, but he went by Ed. He DOB is 4.23.32 and he enlisted on 4.19.50 in Organization listed as: Co "A" 12th Inf Bn, USMCR, Joined, Deserted etc.: Jdenl, Rank: Pvt. He was then changed to Assigned Active Duty with Organization: Co A. 12th Inf Bn USMCR T. I.S.F., Calif Rank: Pvt on 7.31.50


            My father is still alive, however he has Alzheimer's and has lost much of his memory. Our mom passed 3 years ago and they never spoke of his time in the Marines or when he was fighting in the Korean War. He has recently been talking about Korea. We hope to find out if some of his stories match up with history. He talks about falling down a mountainside but can't remember what happened. He doesn't remember his hospital stay but remembers being part of the fight at the Chosin Reservoir. It is very interesting for my twin sister and I to hear him talk about all of this, but he gets confused. We are trying to help him fill in the blanks.


            Thank you for any help you can provide.


            ~Sandy Burbach

          • Re: Seeking why father was in hospital & what was he recovering from
            Jacob Seley Newbie

            Dear Ms. Burbach,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls and Personnel Diaries, 1/1941 - 12/1980 in the Records of the U.S. Marine Corps (Record Group 127) that may include rolls of the 12th Infantry Battalion during the 1950s. These records are digitized and available using the Catalog. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!