6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2021 11:28 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking military records for Mansel Watne

    Jeffory Watne Newbie

      I am looking for the military records of my father, Mansel L Watne. Also, how can I find out what decorations my father received in WWII?

        • Re: Seeking military records for Mansel Watne
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Mr. Watne,


          Here is some information needed to help you in your search below.




          Field TitleValueMeaning
          ARMY SERIAL NUMBER2071120720711207
          GRADE: CODE8Private
          BRANCH: CODE10Infantry
          TERM OF ENLISTMENT1One year enlistment
          SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL7National Guard
          YEAR OF BIRTH1515
          RACE AND CITIZENSHIP1White, citizen
          EDUCATION44 years of high school
          CIVILIAN OCCUPATION475Machinists
          MARITAL STATUS6Single, without dependents
          COMPONENT OF THE ARMY4National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
          CARD NUMBER##
          BOX NUMBER03570357
          FILM REEL NUMBER3.78#3.78#




          This is a narrative from his wounds from the Hospital Admission Cards



          Full Name: Watne, Mansel L


          Gender: Male


          Race: White (includes Mexican)


          Admission Age:29


          Admission Date: May 1945


          Admission Type of Injury: Injury Type: Battle casualty; InjuryType2: All battle casualties, and all battle injuries not intentionally inflicted by self or another person


          Military Service Number:20711207


          Rank: Enlisted Man (includes Aviation Cadet or Student)




          Branch: Infantry, General or Unspecified Length of Service:3-5 yr.


          Medical Diagnosis: Diagnosis: Wound(s), penetrating (point of entrance only: includes incised, puncture or stab wound) with no nerve or artery involvement; Location: Scrotum; Location: Thigh; Causative Agent: Hand Grenade, Fragment; Diagnosis: Wound(s), penetrating (point of


          Medical Treatment: Penicillin therapy (treatment with penicillin); Debridement (removal of all foreign matter and dead tissue) with drainage


          Discharge Type: Duty (includes AWOL)


          Discharge Date: Jun 1945


          Discharge Place: General Hospital


          Notes:NoneConflict Period:World War IIServed for:United States of America





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records for Mansel Watne
            Shannon Kerner Adventurer

            Dear Mr. Watne,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 10 file units of the Americal Division during the 1940s. Since the 164th Infantry Regiment was part of that Division, there may be mention of the 164th in these records. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the Americal Division and possibly records of the 164th during WWII. For information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate specific records of Company F.  Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the  regiment.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!