6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2021 10:13 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking assistance with Confederate records & establishing next of kin

Zona Simonson Newbie

I have found a Confederate Civil War record on Fold3, which I believe to be my ancestor. I have a question about the recorded "Nativity" information and whether it represents the soldier's birth place and occupation or could it be his father's birth place and occupation?  Also, are there any other Civil War records, besides pension data, that contain next-of-kin information in order to verify a record as an ancestry source?

• Re: Seeking assistance with Confederate records & establishing next of kin
            Zona Simonson Newbie

I'm doing genealogy research.  Here's the details and my findings:  William Epperson was born abt 1836 in North Carolina.  He appears with his family in the 1840, 1850 and 1860 US census for Callaway County, Missouri, but does not appear in any later censuses, so I began to explore a civil war death as a possibility.  William's brother's Abner T. and John Jackson Epperson appear in the 1863-1865 Callaway County civil war draft records, but William does not, which might mean he was already deceased, or possibly already serving.  Callaway County was predominantly confederate and William's family were slave owners, so I searched confederate records and found several William Epperson's.  A William (W.C.) Epperson enlisted Dec 5, 1861 at Sack River, St. Clair County, Missouri, 26 years old, as a Pvt, Co. I, 2nd Regiment, Missouri Infantry for one year.  Part of this same Fold3 record for William C. Epperson indicates an enlisted date of Dec 5 1862 at Sack River for one year, Company I 2nd Regiment, Missouri.  This record shows a different age, but residence at Cote Sans Dessein, Callaway, Missouri, which is where my ancestor lived.  The Nativity entry shows State or Kingdom:  Virginia, City or County: Halifax and occupation:  Farmer.  The Nativity information match the birth place of his father Richard Epperson.  The Missouri Genealogy records show a matching death record for this William C. Epperson from Callaway County, Missouri.  So, long story short, I'm not experienced in interpreting the information on the civil war records.  If it was customary for the Nativity information to be the birth place of the soldier's father, this record would match my ancestor.  I haven't found any other information that would verify next of kin.  Thanks for any additional information you can offer.

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Zona,

Here is where he is buried. William C. Epperson (Unknown-1864) - Find A Grave Memorial  

(click on link and image to enlarge).

Found some leads for you please follow links. He also had an alias which i see from the combined CSR that he also went by Wm Eperson please see this document that was apart of his full Confederate file. This was first time he was wounded in addition in 1862 then to being a prisoner of war. During the 2nd enlistment and died as a result of his wounds and amputation on June 25th 1864 from battle of Kennesaw Mountain.

But looking at the record someone transposed the wrong date one document states wounded June 19th 1864 and Died July 6th 1864 the other states he died June 25th 1864 either event we know he passed sometime between June and July 1864. Look at that prisoner of war card such disgrace they read him his prisoner rights on his death bed taking an oath not to fight in any other regiments within the USA and that document was dated July 6th so it seems that he died more on July 6th 1864.

Zona Simonson Newbie

Elliot and Alice:

I'm  familiar with William (W.C.) Epperson's confederate soldier record, and it looks like your FindAGrave discovery for Atlanta, Georgia, near where he died is consistent with his records except for a few date discrepancies, which isn't unusual.  Thank you. Regarding his prisoner of war data, that occurred on July 6, 1863 after the battle at Vickburg, Mississippi.  He obviously broke the oath he signed, since he went back and fought additional battles and died in 1864.

I'm still curious about the Nativity information on his record and whether it could reflect his father's birth place.  If that was the case, I'm 99.9% sure that he is my ancestor.  Thanks for help with this.  I appreciate the extra information.

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Zona,

Welcome to History Hub,

This is the same William Epperson  See (Elliot's post that he  found on fold3) who had to have his arm amputated and most likely was the cause of his death. "RIP"  Buried on July 5, 1864.

If Headstone Application is found for 1949 it should give more information for you.

William C. Epperson (Unknown-1864) - Find A Grave Memorial

CSA

Headstone application of 1949 has preliminary information that was unable to be verified, including name, date of death, and unit info: Private, Company E, 2nd or 6th Mississippi Inf.

Fold3 shows W. C. Epperson of Co E, 2 & 6, Missouri Inf. Wounded at Battle of Kennesaw Mtn. on June 29, 1864. His arm was amputated.

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Found tombstone application:

W C Epperson, "United States Headstone Applications for U.S. Military Veterans, 1925-1949" (familysearch.org)

familysearch.org is a free website, you just need to register to search.

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Simonson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you are referring to the Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Confederate Organizations , 1903 - 1927 in the War Department Collection of Confederate Records (Record Group 109), then the nativity listed would be that of the soldier. These records do not include information about parents or other next of kin. We are unaware of any Confederate records in National Archives custody that include this information. For more information about these records and other Confederate records in Record Group 109, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at Archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Please note that Confederate pension records are not in National Archives custody because pensions relating to Confederate service were given by states rather than the federal government.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!