1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2021 2:55 PM by Charleen Vocca

Seeking court records about Varn Mill Riot

Rome Mubarak Newbie

Greetings, I am doing research on a Southeast Georgia incident called the "Varn Mill Riot of 1890". Names on record of parties involved:  Lemuel B. Varn, Robert Knight, Welcome Golden (Golding) and Thomas Sears. About Four African American Lumberjacks involved in a land dispute that turned fatal. Robert Knight and Welcome Golden (or Golding) were said to have gotten an application for "clemency" to be pardoned" in 1903 because they were acting in self-defense but I have no way of finding out where to look for this information. I would also like to find any and all court transcripts if at all possible.  Thank you for your time.

• Re: Seeking court records about Varn Mill Riot
          Charleen Vocca Scout

Dear Mr. Mubarak,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 20 series of Criminal Case Files in the Records of District Courts of the United States (Record Group 21) that includes the Southern District of Georgia during the 1890s and may contain the case you seek. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We located a book online titled Lynching in the New South: Georgia and Virginia, 1880-1930

By William Fitzhugh Brundage that may include additional resources.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!