2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2021 12:55 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking maps, photos, & treaties of Dakota Land

Josie Morss Newbie

Hey y'all - I'm a reporter for Tommie Media at the University of St. Thomas. This week - I'm working on a story about the Dakota Land Acknowledgement committee, an opportunity to bring inclusion to Indigenous folks on campus. I'm trying to get my hands on maps, photos, treaties with relationship to the Dakota land in hopes of finding landmarks or sacred water sources to document what has now been put in its place. I've been hitting a TON of dead ends in terms of finding these sources because no one has any documentation within their grasp. If you could possibly point me in the right direction of these sources that would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Seeking maps, photos, & treaties of Dakota Land
          LOC Manuscript Division Tracker

Hi Josie -

The Library of Congress might have some materials of possible interest.  A good starting point is the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division's LibGuide about locating graphic materials relating to Native American History and Culture:

Native American History and Culture: Finding Pictures

It's also worth looking at the Library of Congress Geography and Maps Division's:

Native American Spaces: Cartographic Resources at the Library of Congress

All the best and feel free to contact us directly for further assistance.

PK

Manuscript Division

Library of Congress

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking maps, photos, & treaties of Dakota Land
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Morss,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 64 series in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that pertain to Dakota land in various files of the Standing Rock, Turtle Mountain, Crow Creek, Rosebud, Winnebago, and Pine Ridge Agencies. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) at kansascity.archives@nara.gov.

We also located 10 series in Record Group 75 that include Dakota land in records of the Land Division. For assistance with these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

In addition, we located 4 series of maps in Record Group 75 that may be of interest. For more information about these maps and any additional ones, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov

Next, we located 2 series of photographs in Record Group that may include what you seek. For assistance with these and other photographs of Native Americans, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSs) at stillpix@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-KC, RDT1, RDSC & RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Lastly, we located the series Indian Treaties, 1722–1869 in the General Records of the United States Government (Record Group 11) that  has been digitized in full and made available online via the Catalog. These digitized treaties may be explored by date or by tribe. Click on the hyperlinked series title and click the link for “Search within this series.” Type the name of the tribe or date in the search window. For each treaty, click on the file unit title to view digital images of the treaty and all related documents in the file unit. To view these documents individually, scroll down the page and click the link for “Search within this file unit.” Please see NARA’s web page titled American Indian Treaties: Catalog Links for easy access to the treaties you seek.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!