1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 26, 2021 8:21 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military & medical records of Edward Gallagher

    Mary Kline Newbie

      How can I find records for my dad?  He served in WWII. His name was Edward F. Gallagher.  He was at Camp Lee, Virginia on 12-7-1945 and served in the Army until 10-28-1945. His induction and discharge dates are listed as 12-07-1941 through 10-20-1945.  I believe that his serial number was  33 073 156.  My dad died on 12-22-1970 in Free hold, NJ.  I am looking for whatever military and medical records are available to me.  Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking military & medical records of Edward Gallagher
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Ms. Kline,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!