1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2021 10:27 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking federal prison records of Sigmund Rand

Diane Goodman Newbie

My great uncle, Sigmund Rand, was a very big deal in the small world of Rhode Island bootleggers. I've found articles about his case and his sentence.  Allegedly, he was sentenced to two years in Atlanta's Federal Penitentiary. I'm sure he was sentenced, but I can find no records.  I'd really like to find transcripts from his trial - I have no idea how to start looking for this info either. Any thoughts on finding out more?  Thanks!  See article in The Boston Globe, Boston, Massachusetts, 23 Jan 1928, Mon  •  Page 24

Rand is sentenced to Federal Prision

• Re: Seeking federal prison records of Sigmund Rand
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Goodman,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

After 1922, the Bureau of Prisons determined that inmate case files would no longer be permanent records upon completion of the inmates' sentence, so those records were not kept.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Index to Prisoners, 1902 - 1973 in the Records of the Bureau of Prisons (Record Group 129) for the U.S. Penitentiary, Atlanta. The index cards prior to 1938 only contain the inmate name and number, while the cards after 1938 include more information. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov

We also located Criminal Case Files, 1893 - 1998 in the Records of District Courts of the United States (Record Group 21) for the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island that may include his case file. The US District Court for Rhode Island Criminal Case #3008 seems to match. It started a little earlier in 1927. While there are a handful of other bribery cases for Sigmund Rand, this is the closest one. There are no transcripts. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Boston (RE-BO) via email at boston.archives@nara.gov

Additionally, we located Appellate Case Files, 1891 - 1998 in the Records of the U.S. Courts of Appeals (Record Group 276) for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, which is the appeals court based in Boston referenced in the article you shared. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) kansascity.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT, RE-BO, and RM-KC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!