4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2021 12:42 PM by Jeremy Crabb

Seeking proof if friend was a Navy Seal

Leigh Noah Newbie

Good Day,  I have a gentleman that I have been involved with for a very long time and recently I was told that he was never a Navy Seal or on Seal Team 4 and that the "Silver Star" he proudly displays on his license plate he never received.  I got this information from Mr. Don Shipley who is well known for busting fake Seals.  Now, I am doubting his military service at all.  I just want to know 100% for sure before I change my entire life and end my relationship.  I sent a request to NPRC and was told that it would be a very long time to get info due to COVID and that they were closed now.  He may be able to live this lie, but I cannot and really need verification to make some very important decisions in my life.  If anyone knows of another search that I can go through, I would greatly appreciate it.   Thank you, Leigh

• Re: Seeking proof if friend was a Navy Seal
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

What time frame did this individual that you are concerned with serve? Vietnam, Gulf War, or Current Operations?

What dose Mr. Shipley Say you should do? You will have to wait sometime to get any type of military records because of the pandemic. Have you tried reaching out to the State where he resides. Most Department of Motor Vehicles especially specialized plates requires veterans to show proof of discharge and award letter showing he was presented with a silver star. Now you can get all these trough third party sites. But it might be beneficial to find out from the State Vehicle Motors registration and also look into the Sate or county veterans service office as well.

Leigh Noah Newbie

He told me that he went into military in 1984 and served 3 terms.  He said that he was involved in the gulf War.  Mr Shipley told me that he was only in the Navy from 1984 to 1988 and that their is no record of him being in BUDS training and that if he was on Seal Team 4 that during that time frame Seal Team 4 would have only been in the Panama Canal.   I am curious how he would have gotten a license plate with a Silver Star without proper documentation.  I am not sure if the DMV would give me any information..  Maybe they would like to have my information, but I don't really have any proof except for what Mr Shipley gave me.  I just really want to know 100% for sure before I give up on someone I love.  I know I'm grasping for straws, but I need to know.

Jeremy Crabb Wayfarer

If you believe he's committing some kind of fraud, you might call the Navy's Inspector General. They handle fraud and stolen valor cases. Getting benefits by claiming he has medals he wasn't actually awarded is considered stolen valor.

Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Noah,

Thank you for posting your request on the History Hub!

Information on what Navy units he served with and the awards he received are contained in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), which you have already requested. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We suggest that you contact the Navy Personnel Command for any additional support. Information on requesting personnel information can be found on their website: Navy Personnel Command - Records Management.

If you believe it is urgent, please contact the Office of the Naval Inspector General. They have a public website where you can submit requests for information and complaints on your topic: Office of the Naval Inspector General: Investigations.

We hope this is helpful.