6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2021 11:58 AM by mrabassi

Seeking military records of Theodore Koziar

mrabassi Newbie

I am seeking any information on Theodore D. Koziar who was at Camp Dix in 1919. An article from a New Castle, PA paper dated July 25, 1919 states that Theodore D. Koziar has returned to Camp Dix after spending a month's furlough with his brother, Elias Koziar, of Chewton.  He has recently returned from one year's service in France.   I can find no information for Theodore Koziar.  No draft cards, no discharge information, no service records.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Re: Seeking military records of Theodore Koziar
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

do you have a DOB and possibly a place of birth

I'm showing Koziar but no Theodore, see lots of Elias, John, and Andrew Koziar did he use an alias? Elais also signed up for the draft.

1 person found this helpful
            Alice Lane Navigator

Hi Melissa

Welcome to History Hub,

Do you happen to have a copy article from the New Castle PA. newspaper that you mentioned. Can you post it.

Some of the following items are from familysearch.org. family search is a free website, you will need to register to use.

Obituary for Mary A Koziar Smilek born in Chewton

Elias Koziar in entry for Mary A Koziar Smilek, "United States, GenealogyBank Obituaries, 1980-2014" — FamilySearch.org

Theodore Alexander Koziar (1916-1985) - Find A Grave Memorial

The following Elias Koziar is the father of the Theodore mentioned above

Elias Koziar (1892-1963) - Find A Grave Memorial

Elias Koziar, "United States Census, 1930" (familysearch.org)

In the 1940 Census this Elias and his wife had 12 children

Elias Koziar, "United States Census, 1940" (familysearch.org)

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

mrabassi Newbie

Elliot and Alice,

Thank you both for the responses.  Elias is my great-grandfather and I have all the info. you mentioned on him.  Mary, that Alice notes, is my grandmother.  The Theodore Alexander she lists is my grandmother's brother.  I am on both Ancestry and Family Search.  I am struggling to find much information on Elias and his family.

I know from a 1948 obituary of his sister, Anna, that she was survived by brothers, Elias, Theodore and Paul and a "sister in Romania".  And from Elias' October 11, 1963 obituary it says "A brother, Theodore Koziar, died in 1962".  I have found no additional information on Theodore or Paul.  When I came across the small article from the New Castle, PA paper about Theodore visiting Elias, I thought I might have finally found a lead.  However, I can find no information about Theodore in the military other than what the news clipping says:

Sergt. Theodore D. Koziar, has returned to Camp Dix, after spending a month's furlough with his brother, Elias Kozla (sp), of Chewton.  He recently returned from one year's service in France.

Elias' last name is misspelled, but because of the correct spelling of Theodore's last name and that they are in Chewton, I know that this is the correct Elias.  I did try searching varies spellings of Koziar. 

Again, thanks so much for responding and taking the time to look into it.  I guess my hunt continues!

Melissa

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Mellissa,

Think I hit pay dirt found your individual.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/182253762/theodore-d.-kazear

Name:Theodore Daniel Kazear
                  Record Type:Military Service
                  Birth Date:27 Dec 1893
                  Military Date:30 Jun 1919
                  Residence Place:Bessemer, Pennsylvania
                  Death Date:20 Jan 1962

Name:Theodore D Kazear[Theodore D Kozear]
                  Birth Year:abt 1899
                  Race:White
                  Age in 1930:31
                  Birthplace:Pennsylvania
                  Marital Status:Married
                  Relation to Head of House:Head
                  Home in 1930:Youngstown, Mahoning, Ohio, USA
                  Map of Home:
                  Street Address:Market St.
                  Ward of City:6
                  Block:46
                  House Number:1319
                  Dwelling Number:176
                  Family Number:202
                  Home Owned or Rented:Rented
                  Home Value:35
                  Radio Set:No
                  Lives on Farm:No
                  Age at First Marriage:29
                  Attended School:No
                  Able to Read and Write:Yes
                  Father's Birthplace:Pennsylvania
                  Mother's Birthplace:Pennsylvania
                  Able to Speak English:Yes
                  Industry:Steel mill
                  Class of Worker:Wage or salary worker
                  Employment:Yes
                  Veteran:Yes
                  War:W.W
                  Household MembersAgeRelationship
                  Theodore D Kazear31Head
                  Mary Kazear22Wife
                  Theodore D Kazear1Son
                  Paul Kazear0Son

mrabassi Newbie

Thank you Elliot.  I, too, found those last week.  My aunt remembered that he spelled the last name differently.  I had come across this one before, but ruled him out because of the spelling.  I also found the military transport lists that show him shipping out in 1919 and 1921.   Thank you for you help.  It was very nice of you and much appreciated.

Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Rabassi,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, which affected about 80% of Army records for those discharged between 1912 and 1960, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

If the veteran or his family filed a claim before July, 1973, the Veterans Administration maintains records on veterans whose military records that would have been affected by the fire. There is also a great deal of information available in records of the State Adjutant’s General, and other state or local "veterans service" offices. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!