1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2021 6:26 PM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking an "Unknown Lady" soldier at Andersonville Cemetery

Gary Morgan Newbie

Greetings, All!  This is probably a snipe hunt, but according to the Cemetery records, Grave number 13706 at Andersonville National Cemetery is listed in the cemetery register as "Unknown Lady" "died April 4, 1864" and "Died a soldier."  There are also two accounts from 1867 and 1868 of visitors to the cemetery seeing a wooden grave marker on one of the "newer" graves that said "Unknown Lady and gave the same date of death.  Grave 13706 is a post war reinternment.  This means that she originally died and was buried elsewhere, then moved to the National Cemetery after the war. She was not a POW and did not die at the prison.  I am trying to figure out where she came from.  Someone suggested that there might be some kind of record of this in the Quartermaster's Records, so I'm bringing my question and my search here to you.  Is there any way to find out where a Civil War soldier was buried before being moved to a National Cemetery?  Our best guess is that she died within 125 miles or so of Andersonville.  She has a military style grave marker rather than a civilian one, which suggests that she was, indeed, a soldier rather than a civilian.  Since women were not allowed to serve in the military during the Civil War, she was most likely disguised as a man and using an alias, which may be why no name is provided - nobody knew her real name.  Any suggestions for discovering her place or origin would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you for your consideration.