2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2021 11:32 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking passenger list for the Aquitania

Margaret Lindsey Newbie

I am looking for the complete (or first class) passenger list for the Aquitania, a Cunard line ship, as it left New York City on September 29, 1931, on route to Cherbourg, France.

• Re: Seeking passenger list for the Aquitania
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

Departing passenger lists for that time period are not available.  First class passengers were often listed in newspapers of port cities.  I found the following in the NY Times for 29 Sep 1931, p. 20.  I could only download the article in pdf format, which does not work here, so I retyped the short item.

Passengers for France and England, in the Cunarder Aquitania, include:

Sir Arthur and Lady Dickinson

Col. and Mrs. A. B. Carrington

Capt. H. B. Taylor

Sir Enoch and Lady Hill

John McLain

Sir Allan and Lady Powell

A. K. Jennings

Mrs. R. W. Van Rensselaer

Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Rice

• Re: Seeking passenger list for the Aquitania
            Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Ms. Lindsey,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

United States ports were not required to maintain departure passenger lists.  As passenger names were occasionally listed in a newspaper for the departure port as traveling on a certain ship on a certain date, we suggest that you search the local newspaper archives for passengers on that voyage.  Please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

We searched online and located a biography of the RMS Aquitania that may be of interest.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!