1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 25, 2021 11:10 AM by Shannon Kerner

Seeking a photograph of Harold Master

Carol Master Newbie

My husband’s name was Harold Allen Master. He was a Vietnam Veteran. I do not have a picture of him in his Army uniform like the one in the yearbook from boot camp. I would like information on how to retrieve a photo if it can be done. My husband was at Fort Jackson, SC for basic training in 1965. He was in the Army from 1965 to 1967.

• Re: Seeking a photograph of Harold Master
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Ms. Master,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Group photographs were not considered permanent records unless the photographs were taken by official military photographers usually for publicity. Photographs of various U.S. Army activities from 1940 to 2007 (that are permanent) are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Usually, the instructor of a training facility paid for a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures, These photographs sometimes are filed in the records of the unit but oftentimes they are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We suggest reviewing the Military Yearbook Project web pages for the photograph you seek.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!