11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2021 4:11 PM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking photos of 7 men killed in glider crash

Lisa Woods Newbie

I am searching for photos of 7 men of the 101st Airborne Division that were killed in a glider crash during Operation Market Garden.  I have their names and serial numbers and other information about them. I just need photos for a memorial being erected for them in Belgium.  I have tried Ancestry.com, newspaper.com, etc, with no luck.  Thank you for any ideas on how to locate their photos.

• Re: Seeking photos of 7 men killed in glider crash
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Lisa,

Do you have the 101st Glider units number 327th or 325th Glider Artillery or Infantry? What chalk # were they?

Lisa Woods Newbie

Elliot,  thanks for responding.  i'm new on this site.  i wanted to scan the email to you but not sure how so the following is the info that i have. 

101st Airborne, 327th GIR, B Co.  and i think 1st Bn.   it was Waco CG-4A, serial 43-19797 of the 436th TGC/82nd TCS.  Crashed at Kruishoutem Belgium.  Sept 19, 44.  We have some of the men's photos.  we still need the following:

Sgt Barrett, Henry J.    38274996   i found a photo of Barrett in newspaper getting off a glider carrying a bazooka.  we could use it if we cant find a better one.  (hometown: Caldwell City  Kansas)

Pfc Insolo, John A.  33569344    (Maryland)

Pfc Haake, Frank G     37557272   (Minnesota)

Pvt Hernandez, Jesus G     39548588  (Los Angeles)

Pfc Keane, Patrick B       31342106     (Conn.)

Pfc Pacheco, Frank S       19167979     (San Bernardino, CA.  I live near here and think i have found a daughter)

Pvt Zimmerman, Kenneth O.    37575515   (buried Minnesota)

Thank you so much for responding to my request.  Hope you can help.  I helped with another memorial in Belgium last year and ended up finding the paratrooper's photo with the help of the WW2 museum but they haven't responded to my request for help this time.   Lisa

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to History Hub,

Found this on Pinterest

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

955792637aa061579c10c4fb47a56ab1.jpg (640×328) (pinimg.com)

Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear Ms. Woods,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may have photographs in the 101st Airborne Division and 327th Glider Infantry Regiment histories and/or after action reports located in boxes 11750-11753 and boxes 11806-11808, respectively. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Also photographs of various U.S. Army activities and subjects during WWII are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!