7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2021 10:16 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking information about Clyde Ray Coffey's military career

Zachary Coffey Newbie

I'm looking for any information about my grandfather's military service. I was young when he passed away, and never got the chance to talk to him about it. His name was Clyde Ray Coffey, and he was in the 2nd Rangers in World War II. If anybody has and documents with his name on them, or suggestions on where I can look to find anything like that, I would appreciate it.

• Re: Seeking information about Clyde Ray Coffey's military career
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Mr. Coffey,

The 2nd Rangers was a big unit do you happen to know what company, I have some documents but could take me days to go through without knowing a (company) like Co. A, B, C.

Thanks,

Elliot

Zachary Coffey Newbie

Yes, that is him. I don't have any information on what company he was in. I don't have any relatives alive that I can ask. I do know that he was one of the rangers that climbed the cliff at Pointe Du Hoc on D-Day. That's all I have to go on.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Zachery,

the 2nd Rangers were made up of 6 Battalions and the 2nd Battalion Companies D, E, F were at the first wave of Point Du Hoc. I have gone through all my rosters of the 2nd Battalion 2nd Rangers and did not find him on the rosters.

I'm going to search through the 1st Battalion 2nd Rangers.

Wish I had a little more to go on any letters how did you come to the conclusion he was in the 2nd Rangers?

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Zachary Coffey Newbie

I don't believe he had any name changes. My dad, and uncle always referred to him as Clyde.

I remember being on a fishing trip with my dad when I was about 14, and he was talking to the owner of the cabins we were staying at, who was an older gentleman, and he mentioned that he was in the 2nd rangers. My dad's jaw dropped, and he said back to him "My dad was in the 2nd rangers too!" They talked for a while about it, but my dad didn't know what company he was in either.

My dad passed away a few years later, and he didn't have any documents on his dad's service.

I've tried searching in the past, but all I found was the card you posted yesterday.

Family legend has it that his military career was extensive. That he saw a lot of combat, and served in WW2, Korea, and also did 3 tours in Vietnam. I just want to be sure of the stories before I keep telling them.

I wish I had more information, but I don't.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Zachery,

I did find someone 1st Ranger Battalion Company C, his name though is Pvt. Francis G. Coffey are you sure that he had no name change while in service.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Lisha Penn Pioneer

Dear Mr. Coffey,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that may contain records of the 2nd Ranger Battalion during WWII. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

More information about your grandfather may be included in his Selective Service records. Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and were born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). There are two types of records: cards and classification histories.  The individual Draft Registration Card (SSS Form 1) may contain information such as: name, Selective Service registration number, age, date and place of birth, ethnicity, place of residence at time of registration and basic physical description. The Classification History (SSS Form 102) may contain: name; date of birth; classification and date of mailing notice; date of appeal to the board; date and results of armed forces physical examination; entry into active duty or civilian work in lieu of induction (may include date, branch of service entered and mode of entry, such as enlisted or ordered); date of separation from active duty or civilian work; and general remarks. Please complete a Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records and email it to RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov.

For men who registered for the draft before 1976, all other individual draftee files besides the cards and classification histories were destroyed by the Selective Service System in 1978, in accordance with approved records retention schedules. Physical examination and test results, medical letters, laboratory work, and other medical documentation that may have been included in these files no longer exist.

We also suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Lastly, you may wish to review these websites: Beyond The Beach: The 2nd Rangers Fight Through Europe and 2nd Btn for background information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!