4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2021 3:59 PM by Mindy Fink

Seeking church registers for Unterwarmberg, Gottschee

Mindy Fink Newbie

I have a membership in both ancestry.com as well as familysearch.org and have looked and looked for a way to find records for the Gottschee region (now in Slovenia). I am most interested in the Unterwarmberg village which no longer exists after the Germans bombed it in WWII. Luckily, my relatives left the area before WWI and the 1918 Pandemic. The church registers for Untervarmberg may be in the diocesan archives in Ljubljana. Does anyone know where I might be able to research the microfiche online, if the microfiche have been put online? Or, might the records be at other websites? Might familysearch.org or ancestry.com have them archived? If so, can you tell me how to find them. Thank you in advance for your help!

• Re: Seeking church registers for Unterwarmberg, Gottschee
          Susannah Brooks Navigator

As I previously told you familysearch.org has the Catholic church records for Unterwarmberg with baptisms back to 1826.  Prior to Unterwarmberg having their own church, residents had rites (baptism, marriage, burial) performed in Altlag.  None of these records are indexed and they are difficult to use because at least the baptismal records (only ones I looked at when finding your ancestor), which are two pages wide, were filmed all left hand pages in the book and then separately all the right hand pages.  If you look at the baptismal record I previously found for you, you will see in relatively large writing the number 99.  Look at the left had pages first to find the name you are looking for and note the number at the top of the page and which entry it is on the page (for example 3rd entry)  Then find the right hand pages on the digital microfilm and look for the same number at the top of the page and count down to the same entry to find the rest of the information.  

To find the records search the catalog for Unterwarmberg for the more recent records and then search Altlag for the records going back to the 1690's.

for Unterwarmberg FamilySearch Catalog: Kirchenbuch, 1826-1941 — FamilySearch.org

for Altlag FamilySearch Catalog: Kirchenbuch, 1691-1941 — FamilySearch.org

(all records that have the image of a microfilm roll, rather than a camera, are not on-line)

1 person found this helpful
              Mindy Fink Newbie

Thank you Susannah. I tried to find the records from scratch and failed. I was wondering how you landed on those pages in the links you sent. You must know something that I am unaware of and is not easily found with their search engine. Thank you for manually searching for the records. You're great! I found some trees on ancestry.com listing people in Unterwarmberg and other places in Gottschee back to the late 1700s. Might they be visiting the archives and manually going through books?

Susannah Brooks Navigator

A lot of people forget that most records are not indexed nor available on-line by searching for names.  Whether doing US or non-US research, always check the familysearch.org catalog to search by place to see what records they might have.  I also google "a place name familysearch wiki" , since the information they provide includes not only records found on their website, but elsewhere.

I would assume that the people who had family trees that included individuals from Unterwarmberg had family records, manually went through the records, or perhaps used the Gottscheer Heritage & Genealogy Association |website or their publications.  There is also a Gottschee genealogy facebook group (1) Gottschee Genealogy | Facebook that might be helpful. 

1 person found this helpful
                      Mindy Fink Newbie

Thank you Susanne. Just the other day I became a member of the Gottscheer Heritage and Genealogy Association (non profit) :) and ordered one of their disks of marriages that included Unterwarmberg. Although I don't care for Facebook, I just asked for that member's permission to view their pages. I also found a couple websites in Germany or Austria that were helpful with the history of the area (gottschee.de was one that had good leads, too.). Ancestry.com doesn't recognize any of the Gottscheer location names and translates some of them into Quay, New Mexico or just New Mexico & shows a map of NM. I have a serious request into them to fix that ASAP and include historical place names. (Their AI has failed the test.) That is, if you were born in Unterwarmberg, Gottschee, you were born in Unterwarmberg, Gottschee, not Końćevje, Slovenia. To preserve history, they should include historical names of places and not change them. That connection needs to be kept and never changed. And, I'll keep on them until they do it right to preserve history. Again, have a wonderful day! Warmest Regards, Nancy