1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 25, 2021 1:36 PM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking recommendations made by Institute of Medicine

Helen Schoenemann Newbie

I know at one time I read that the Institute of Medicine recommended that all 18 conditions awarded to the children of female vets also be awarded to the children of male vets.  I am no longer able to find this recommendation.  All I find is that more research is needed.  That same statement has been made over and over, year after year.  Institute of Medicine is now called the National Academy of Medicine.

• Re: Seeking recommendations made by Institute of Medicine
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear Ms. Schoenemann,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog for any records related to your research by entering the following keywords “Institute of Medicine,” “veterans,” and “children.” We located 504 files units & 57 items in various record groups and collections that may be of interest to you. Please note that some of the records have been digitized and may be viewed using the Catalog. For access to non-digitized records, please contact the unit listed in the description.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from various NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Further, we searched online and located information on the website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs that may be viewed here and here.

You also may wish to contact the National Academy of Medicine via their contact information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!