1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 17, 2021 12:59 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking any records about Thomas H Lowe

Natalie Glines Wayfarer

I have only one record of this person, and I cannot find any others. I am looking for anything else on this person, hopefully, where they were born and lived, any record connecting him to his parents. I have information on his wife, just nothing on Thomas. Any information on the parents would be great too.  Known Information: On 15 June 1943, Thomas H Lowe (b. 1922) the son of Thomas A Lowe and Ophelia Williams, married Sarah Patterson, the daughter of Eldreg Lewis Patterson and Mary Magdalene Payne, in Orleans, Louisiana.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q29S-TNGQ I think I can mail in a request to Louisiana for a copy of the marriage certificate?? Would you advise that I do this?

I checked Ancestry/FamilySearch/MyHeritage.  I only found a Thomas Holling/Harlan Lowe of New York, the son of a Thomas R. Lowe and Ophelia Lowe, born in 1922. Is this enough information to say they are the same person? Same middle initial, same mother's name, same birth year. However, the father has a different middle initial, R. not A. The son's middle name changes from Holling to Harlan but I still think that is the same person in both these records at least. Do you think this is the Thomas we are looking for? I found several other records of this Thomas...

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2238&h=194948228&tid=174422076&pid=122263733370&queryId=feab251…

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61224&h=37815&tid=174422076&pid=122263733370&queryId=feab251879…

I know there were other Thomas Lowes born in 1922. They married in Louisiana. What were they doing there?

• Re: Seeking any records about Thomas H Lowe
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Ms. Glines,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since you located a WWII draft card, you may wish to request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Thomas H Lowe and his family.   The 1940 Census schedules are digitized and available using the Catalog. For access to the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

For information about the U.S. Census, see the Census Bureau technical documentation and questionnaires as well as NARA’s page on Census Records.

You may wish to search Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

We suggest that you verify your Thomas H Lowe lineage by carefully consulting multiple primary documents such as birth, marriage, and death records.  These documents can ensure that the same names and vital dates are maintained.  The baptism record and the WWII draft card that you linked seem to be from the same person, but further corroboration may be needed to verify his identity.  We suggest that you order the Orleans Parish Marriage Records of Thomas H Lowe and Sarah Patterson as another source of information.  We also suggest that you review the FamilySearch Research wiki for United States Vital Records

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!