3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2021 8:11 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking military records of Bertrum Herman Wenstrup

Michael Sloan Newbie

My Father, Bertrum Herman Wenstrup, was born  on April 13, 1895. I was told by my mother that he fought with General Pershing in the Pancho Via incursion into our country around 1912. Then was part of the American Expeditionary Force, going overseas to from 1917 to 1918. I would like to know and see his military records and awards that he might have received. And any other pertinent information that has been archived. Thank you, Ora Sloan

• Re: Seeking military records of Bertrum Herman Wenstrup
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mr. Sloan,

1916 and Pancho Villa

The year 1916 brought Pancho Villa's raid on Columbus, New Mexico. On 14 July 1916, the 3rd Infantry, Ohio National Guard, direct predecessor of the 148th Infantry, was mustered into federal service and rushed to duty on the Mexican border at El Paso, Texas. There, the Guardsmen received the training which was soon to be put to its most severe test to date. Several units were never mustered out of service from border duty but were sent directly to camps for additional training. It was on 15 September 1917 that the 3rd Ohio was redesignated the 148th Infantry, 74th Brigade, 37th Infantry Division.

Here is some information below. (click on images to enlarge). He also applied to what they called was the "old mans draft" for ww2.

1 person found this helpful
            Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Here is another good source. I would assume based on his pension card that the 37th Division which was entirely made up of NG Units from Ohio, and since he was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. The 136th FA was his unit of the 37th Buckeye Division most of these units that were sent to the  1916 Mexican Service onto WW1 service probably stayed in  the same unit or were diverted to accompany units for deployment overseas. They were all Federalized for service during that time.

https://www.ong.ohio.gov/stories/2017/Apr/20170406-WWI.pdf

Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Sloan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Records of Field Artillery Regiments Numbers 1 through 351, 1912-1930 in the Records of U.S. Army Regular Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that may contain information about the 136th Field Artillery Regiment, 37th Division, that your grandfather served in during World War I. We also located the series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes the 37th Division and files of the 136th Field Artillery in Entry P 1241-37 Boxes 14 - 15. Some records are digitized but not all. For more information about the non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

In addition, we located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that may include a card for your father. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

The WWI Draft Cards have been digitized by Ancestry.com. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

Plus, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RE-AT. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!