3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2021 7:01 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking military records about Francis McCoy

Audrey Anders Newbie

Hello, looking for some information on my grandmother's brother and I've hit every possible roadblock and would love some advice. I haven't been able to locate any official information regarding Cpl. Francis R. McCoy of St. Louis, Missouri. My only breadcrumb is from this old newspaper clipping: https://www.newspapers.com/image/140271142/?terms=%22francis%20mccoy%22&match=1 From this article, it states he enlisted in 1951, and arrived in Korea in November 1952. This article was dated 2/1/1953, and I believe is referencing an incident that occurred on December 27 1952 or very close to that, where Francis was injured. From my own family stories, we were told Francis (nickname Bud) received some sort of head trauma while in Korea, and basically disappeared after returning from Korea. His whereabouts have been unknown since the mid-to-late 1950/early 1960s. Ideally I'd like to find his social security number so we can attempt to find out if there's a record of death or any means of tracking down what happened to him.  He's obviously presumed to be deceased, but I have no way of knowing that one way or the other for certain.  There are two other Francis McCoy records, neither of which are my relative. I believe there's a middle initial B and a P, but I'm looking for R, from St. Louis, DOB circa. 1934. His father is Daniel O'Brien McCoy and mother is Nora Walsh. I was able to locate records for his brother, Daniel, in the AAP but nothing on Francis, from enlistments, to injuries, or anything else.  I did submit a request to the NPRC, but if anyone has additional advice I would love to hear it! Thank you so much!

• Re: Seeking military records about Francis McCoy
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Audrey,

Found this burial was wondering if this is your guy? Please follow link. Also is 1940 census. Please click on image to enlarge.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/71757900/francis-r.-mccoy

• Re: Seeking military records about Francis McCoy
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Ms. Anders,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If Francis McCoy was drafted into service rather than enlisting, we suggest that you request his Selective Service records. Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and were born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). There are two types of records: cards and classification histories. The individual Draft Registration Card (SSS Form 1) may contain information such as: name, Selective Service registration number, age, date and place of birth, ethnicity, place of residence at time of registration and basic physical description. The Classification History (SSS Form 102) may contain: name; date of birth; classification and date of mailing notice; date of appeal to the board; date and results of armed forces physical examination; entry into active duty or civilian work in lieu of induction (may include date, branch of service entered and mode of entry, such as enlisted or ordered); date of separation from active duty or civilian work; and general remarks. Please complete a Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records and email it to RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov.

For men who registered for the draft before 1976, all other individual draftee files besides the cards and classification histories were destroyed by the Selective Service System in 1978, in accordance with approved records retention schedules. Physical examination and test results, medical letters, laboratory work, and other medical documentation that may have been included in these files no longer exist.

Next, we searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the Numerical Identification Files (NUMIDENT), 1936 - 2007 database and 6 databases related to the Korean War, but we were unable to locate any files for Francis R. McCoy in these records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Since you mentioned that you have contacted the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), please note that the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, the NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

In addition, you may wish to contact Missouri's State Bureau of Vital Records for potential birth, marriage, or death records. More information can be found on the state’s website about the Missouri Vital Records Database, and additional resources related to Missouri Vital Records are also available online via FamilySearch.

Finally, you may consider possible nicknames (e.g. Frank vs. Francis) or variant names (e.g. middle name) that your grandmother’s brother may have used.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!