3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2021 2:51 PM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking certified copies of grandfather's naturalization & census

    RAYMOND Zicarelli Newbie

      How do I obtain a certified copy of my grandfather's naturalization document from 1923 and a certified copy of the 1930 census?

        • Re: Seeking certified copies of grandfather's naturalization & census
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Mr. Zicarelli,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you submit a Name Index Search to the US Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) to obtain a copy of your grandfather’s naturalization files in their custody.  When you submit an Index Search Request, the USCIS Genealogy Program will send you a letter reporting the search results. The letter will identify all file references found in the index and provide instructions and additional information necessary to request the file(s) from the USCIS Genealogy Program


          Please note that USCIS Genealogy does NOT provide certification of files in their holdings.  If you are pursuing dual citizenship, the Consulates are aware that USCIS does not provide certified copies.  Instead, you must present the photocopy of the naturalization certificate along with the USCIS Genealogy Program response letter and mailing envelope.  We suggest that you consult with the country’s Foreign Consular Office for more information. 


          To request certified copies of census records, please submit a request via the NATF Form 82. Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family  research!