2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2021 7:00 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Fredrich Bolowski

    David McDonough Newbie

      My grandfather, Fredrich Wilhelm Bolowski was born Sept. 17, 1888. His WWI registration card was dated June 5, 1917 and his age was 29. The card stated that he had prior military service in the Coast Artillery and served in Slay? (undecipherable) I've never heard of the Coast Artillery before this. Is there any way to find out details about when he joined and what he may have been involved in? Thanks for any help you can give solving one of many family mysteries.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Fredrich Bolowski
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Hello David,


          Here is some information below. Also in question about Coast Artillery during WW1 they have been around for very long time and even so during WW2 they protected coastal areas, waterways and boarders. I think that it meant State and not Slay. He may have been in the New York State Coast Artillery Corps (CAC).




          • Re: Seeking military records of Fredrich Bolowski
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. McDonough,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located and Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798 - 1914 (M233) in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) but were unable to locate a listing for him.


            If he served at a later date, there may be an Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!