1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2021 3:20 PM by Jamie Vander Clute

    Seeking a Vietnam Veteran who lived in Thailand

    Gloria Campbell Newbie

      My Canadian brother joined the US Marines in 1962, boot camp at Parris Island and served as radar technician in Camp Sukiran, Okinawa and eventually transferred to Da Nang, Vietnam. Returning stateside and discharged from Marines in California, he attended USC and remained in the United States until the early 2000s before retiring in Thailand. Our family lost touch with him approximately four years ago. The Human Resource MMSR-6 Retired Services & Pay Separations and Retirement Branch cannot help without more information but we do not have his social security number or service number.  Can you help me with suggestions?  I have his last known address, full name and family affiliations.. Thank you for your consideration.

        • Re: Seeking a Vietnam Veteran who lived in Thailand
          Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

          Dear Ms. Campbell,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To obtain his service/Social Security number, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).. OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and before May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We also suggest reviewing NARA’s Locating Veterans and Service Members web pages for some ideas.


          We hope this is helpful.