2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2021 12:02 PM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military records of Dillard Bryce

    Jessica Patterson Newbie

      My mother inquired if I had come across military records for her father in my genealogy research. She, at one time, had seen a document pertaining to the Solomon Islands Campaign and doesn't know who they ended up with. His name is Dillard Bryce (no middle name), he was born 07/02/1920 in Stigler, Haskell County, Oklahoma. He died in Staunton, VA 1976. I have his SSN, too, if it helps. His father was George Dillard Bryce, and mother was Annie (Ary) Bryce. We know that he was in the USMC, a WWII and Korean veteran (according to his death cert.), and I do have a copy of a "v mail" letter that he had written to his parents after a deployment. This letter was dated November 9th, 1942. In the sender information box above the actual letter, it states; PFC Dillard Bryce, USMC Unit 1100, c/o Postmaster San Francisco, California. It says "In the Pacific" at the head of the letter (handwritten). Can anyone help me with the search for this information? Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Dillard Bryce
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Ms. Patterson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Usually in v-mail, no units or its location are identified. A generic “in the pacific” would be used instead of the specific base or island. For more information about where he served and with which unit, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking military records of Dillard Bryce
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

            Ms. Patterson,


            Here is some information below. I believe he was with the 1st BN 1st Marine Division. If someone has Ancestry.com they can find his records on the Marine Corps Muster Rolls that have been digitized.


             Dillard Bryce


            1 person found this helpful