5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2021 4:10 PM by Jacob Seley

Seeking records of 1/22nd Infantry for September 1966

William Stevenson Adventurer

I am seeking a copy of the After Action Report (AAR) -- or monthly command history -- of the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division (1-22 Infantry) for September 1966 during the Vietnam War.  At that time, 1-22 Infantry was under the operational control of the 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division based at Tuy Hoa, Phu Yen Province, II Corps.

• Re: Seeking records of 1/22nd Infantry for September 1966
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Bill,

Hope all is well. Here is a source from the 4th Division that I have been able to find, have not found one specific to 1/22 INF.

https://archive.org/details/DTIC_AD0510787/page/n11/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/DTIC_AD0387626/page/n3/mode/2up

William Stevenson Adventurer

Hi Elliot,

Happy to see my request came to you, and thnx for having a  go at finding this AAR.

No, what you've sent me does not address what I need -- only the After Action Report (AAR) for September 1966 of the 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment of the 4th Division (1/22-INF) is likely to have the info I am seeking.

Here is page 5 of that document (I do not have the rest of it):

USAF Captain Edmund Thornell was a Forward Air Controller assigned/opconned to the 1/22-INF.  He was shot down and killed south of Phu Hiep, Phu Yen Province on 10 September 1966. A platoon from 1/22-INF recovered his body the following day, took photos of the wreckage and reported the location to the S-2 of 1/22-INF. I am hoping to find the map coordinates of where he was shot down.

https://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/51948/EDMUND-F-THORNELL/page/2/

Thornell's USAF parent unit was the 21st Tactical Air Support Squadron of the 505th Tactical Control Group, 7th Air Force. (See attached DD Form 1300 Report of Casualty for Thornell.)

At the time of his death, Thornell was opconned directly to the Army's 1/22 Infantry. See the attached page 5 from the 1/22 Infantry AAR for September 1966. At the top of that page are listed the first casualties of 1/22 Killed In Action in Vietnam. Thornell is listed third down from the top, with the position of FAC, assigned to Headquarters Company (HHC) of 1/22 Infantry. Though the date of his death of September 10 is not given, his entry is in the correct chronological order.

Besides the requested 1/22-INF AAR for September 1966, it is possible that the corresponding unit report for the USAF's 21st Tactical Air Support Squadron of the 505th Tactical Control Group, 7th Air Force, might contain a reference to Thornell's death and location.

Hoping this might help,

Bill

Jacob Seley Newbie

Dear Mr. Stevenson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Organizational History Files, 7/1965 - 1/1972 of the 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division in the Records of the United States Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that may include information about the 1/22nd Infantry during 1966. We also located the After Action Reports, 1965 - 1972 in Record Group 472 that included the file unit Seward/101st Airborne Division for September 1966. In addition, we located the Infantry Unit Records, 1965 - ca. 1973 in the Record Group 472 that include records of the 1/22nd Infantry for 1968 to 1971. We were unable to locate records for 1966. Next, we located the Organizational History Files, 1959 - 1973 of the Military Historian’s Office in the  Records of the U.S. Army, Pacific (Record Group 550) that includes a file unit titled Unit Histories: 1st Bn., 22d Infantry Regiment in Box 306. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!