1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 12, 2021 9:01 AM by Jacob Seley

    Seeking military records of William Henry Davis

    Kristy Milano Newbie

      I am trying to find records on my grandfather's military records. I never got to meet him. He was murdered. I haven't even seen a picture of him. He was a Vietnam vet in the Navy. That's all I know.  His name was William Henry Davis, born January 21, 1942; killed May 6, 1975.

        • Re: Seeking military records of William Henry Davis
          Jacob Seley Newbie

          Dear Ms. Milano,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1958 and before January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!