4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2021 4:55 PM by Lauren Algee

Accepting Pages

Henry Rosenberg Tracker

I have come across sections where pages are marked as complete with literally dozens of [?] on the page. In one folder I had to ask the moderators to reopen 25 pages. In reviewing a page, if you have trouble deciphering a page to the point where there are more than one or two [?] then my suggestion would be to skip it instead of accepting it. One or two [?] makes it possible to get the context of the page and others can fill in the mystery words with tags. As a fellow volunteer, I do not see the point of accepting pages when someone else will only have to have it reopened later. It wastes the moderators time and we risk having this project not serve the purpose intended which is to make historical documents available for researchers. This project is supposed to be fun so don't struggle. Do what you can and when you have trouble, feel free to move along.

Best wishes,

Henry

• Re: Accepting Pages
          Charles Trentelman Wayfarer

Good point Henry,

I just sent a couple of re-open requests to the moderators for the same reason -- a transcriber had put "[?]master" where, to my eye, it was clearly "Quartermaster" both from the script and from the context -- a military guy who just got promoted.

Maybe I'm picking nits -- I guess to me the question to the moderators is how picky should we be -- an obvious misspelling of a word that is spelled right on the original? A dropped letter?  If they are the sorts of words that don't much matter when doing a word search for the Battleship Maine I am guessing not.

A historic clarification? Just saw another letter where the transcriber had written "stenographer and type[?]"  which is a reasonable thing because a lot of folks don't know that "typewriter" was the name of an occupation as well as a machine back in '01 of the previous century.

And I'd feel stupid, and a bit like someone nagging teacher, going through a lot of things picking nits, especially given how cumbersome it is to unpick them once found. But if someone's historic name is clearly wrong, that's another matter.

Anyway, my 2c.

charlie

1 person found this helpful
              Henry Rosenberg Tracker

Hi Charlie,

I have been doing this for over two years and have been assured that they want us to be picky. The moderators walk a fine line between wanting "perfection" and scaring away volunteers. In my post above, I was concerned that I would drive them nuts with all of the reopening but they seemed okay with it.

Interestingly, I was working in a section and going systematically. I kept track of numbers of documents to be reviewed so I had an idea of how fast we were completing the section. In one night, someone approved over 950 documents which if you have done this right, know is impossible. I read each page and the section I was in was very,very difficult. Each page took a while to read. I checked a few of the accepted pages and there were errors. I notified them and they are looking to reverse all of the accepted pages.

So, I guess the gist is do what you think is right. I look at this project as a once in a lifetime opportunity to get it right. It is not helpful to historians if there are unnecessary mistakes.

I am also a fellow volunteer just so you know and am glad to have a kindred spirit on board.

Take care,

Henry

Charles Trentelman Wayfarer

"Once in a lifetime opportunity to get it right."

Nicely said, thanks.  I shall use that as a guide.

As a reporter and amateur historian it is, yes, frustrating when the search terms don't match what is being searched for -- bad enough people back 120 years ago thought a bicycle racing "Velodrome" was called a "saucer," but at least it pays to have "saucer" spelled correctly once you know to look for it.

950? At one fell swoop?  Yike.

Take care, and if ur ever in Ogden the beer is on me.

1 person found this helpful
                  Lauren Algee Scout

Hi Charles,

As Henry says below, we are happy for you to send us any pages you think can be improved! But it's generally the best use of volunteer time to spend your energy on what we sometimes call "significant" errors -- incorrect names, place, likely search terms etc.

Thanks for your time and your nitpicking !

Lauren