8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2021 5:18 PM by William George

    Seeking citations of awards for Robert Moffet

    William George Newbie

      I am trying to find citations for my grandfather's military awards. I am looking for orders and documents pertaining to Brig. General Robert E. Moffet’s, wartime service. He was my grandfather.  In particular, I am trying to find out if my grandfather is entitled to the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC).  My family requested replacement medals for my grandfather and on Nov. 20, 1999 we received the awards along with the “Authorization for Issuance of Awards” form from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. The form they supplied indicated he had been awarded the DSC and included the medal. Other medals he earned included the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.  I wrote to the Army requesting information about the DSC Award but they could not find any orders regarding the issuance of it and advised I contact you. I have copies of the "Authorization for Issuance of Awards” form, as well as his “Military Record and Report of Separation Certificate of Service,” which lists the Purple Heart and Bronze Star as well as other awards but not the DSC. These were all World War II medals.


      This leads to another issue, his service in World War I and the Mexican Border Campaign. There is not mention of his service in these campaigns in the documents I have, although those campaigns are listed on his grave marker in Arlington National Ceremony. My grandfather left a detailed twenty page report that states he began serving in the Illinois National Guard enlisting on June 17, 1916, and then served in the “Rainbow Division” in France, was wounded in the Battle of the Chateau Thierry. He make no mention of any awards or medals.  My questions are: How can a search be done to find any commendations or orders regarding his medals?  Are the World War I records and citations housed somewhere other than he National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis? Are National Guard wartime records kept in other locations than federal records?  Where can I find Unit histories, action reports or "morning reports?" His  date of birth is 29 October 1898 in Chicago, Ill. His Army serial number was 0-220503.

        • Re: Seeking citations of awards for Robert Moffet
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Mr. George,


          Also if I can give a some advice make sure when asking for records you tell them you want his entire OMPF file also try and include dates when filling the SF-180 form out. Typically if you tell NPRC you want medals that's what you will get, if you ask for discharge same thing you will just get discharge papers. The key is to ask for his full OMPF file and Medical Files as well. So when the pandemic is over I would suggest requesting his files, you may find the orders in his files for the DSC.  Right now they are only processing "Emergency Requests" during this time.


          Here is some information on WW1 and the transport ship showing unit. Also Noticed that the Military during WW 1 had his last name screwed up and they had him listed as Robert Moffett. According to the rosters he was in Supply Company of the 149th Field Artillery (1st Illinois)


          Book page image


          42nd Division (Rainbow) - Major General C. T. Menoher, commanding; Major Walter E. Powers, Adjutant General

          • 83rd Brigade Infantry - Brigadier General M. Lenihan
            • 165th Infantry Regiment
            • 166th Infantry Regiment
            • 150th Machine Gun Battalion
          • 84th Brigade, Infantry - Brigadier General R. A. Brown
            • 167th Infantry Regiment
            • 168th Infantry Regiment
            • 151st Machine Gun Battalion
          • 67th Brigade Field Artillery - Brigadier General G. C. Gatley
            • 149th Field Artillery Regiment
            • 150th Field Artillery Regiment
            • 151st Field Artillery Regiment
            • 117th Trench Mortar Battery
          • Engineer Troops - 117th Regiment
          • Signal Troops - 117th Field Signal Battalion
          • Division Units - 42nd Division Headquarters Troops; 149th Machine Gun Battalion


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking citations of awards for Robert Moffet
            Lisa Sharik Adventurer

            Mr. George:

            For state National Guard records, those are held at the current State Guard headquarters, usually in Retained Records section. However, these records would only cover his National Guard service, they would not include any wartime service. Any time a National Guard is called into Federal Service, as with Mexican Border Service, WWI, and WWII, those Guard units are converted to Federal (US) and the soldiers wartime service would have then been part of the War Department files at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.

            Morning Reports can be found at the St. Louis location as well and Unit Journals and After Action Reports can be found at the College Park Maryland location. One of the National Archives personnel on this board can give you specific collection numbers and information which you can search once they reopen.

            I checked the 2 WWI books we have on the 42nd Division and neither contains a roster or list of soldiers who served in the Division.



            Lisa Sharik

            Deputy Director

            Texas Military Forces Museum

              • Re: Seeking citations of awards for Robert Moffet
                William George Newbie

                Ms. Sharik,

                Thank so much. My Grandfather left a monograph about his service and said this about the Border. (He enlisted June 17, 1916- in the Illinois National Guard. He was age 18. He enlisted at Chicago.)

                He wrote: "I was a private in Batter E 1st Illinois Field Artillery and we were called to active duty. W left Chicago for Springfield, Illinois where we camped on the Illinois state fairground. While we were there we were federalized and sworn into the Unite States Army. We then left for Fort Sam Houston close to San Antonio. Here we drilled for five months. Included in the drilling was service practice at Leon Springs and a hike from San Antonio to Austin. We also had a norther strike the camp when we were in pup tents at Camp Wilson. We called it "the jigger war." The little bugs were a great surprise and a menace to the city boys of the 1st Artillery. We drilled about five months. I was transferred to the Regimental supply company and promoted to corporal having the job of issuing beef, rice, clothes and all the necessities. A regimental Supply Sgt. directed, trained and gave me hell when I didn't do things right and according to regulations. We returned to Chicago in December. For all our work on the border Privates received  $15.00 per month, Corporals $21.00, Sgts. $32.00. I went on semi-active duty and was pad 50 cents per drill, a grand total of $2.00 per month. World War I was declared April 7, 1917 and the unit was called back to active duty." They were incorporated into the Rainbow Division and left for France that September. He was wounded in 1918 and wounded at Chateau Thierry.

                Thanks once again!


              • Re: Seeking citations of awards for Robert Moffet
                Thomas Richardson Tracker

                Dear Mr. George,


                Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


                Many of the documents you are looking for may be located in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). These would include orders for awards and information on when he was assigned to a particular unit. We suggest that you request a complete copy of his Official Military Personnel File. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


                For access to personnel records of non-active duty Army National Guard enlisted personnel and officers, please contact the Adjutant General of Illinois, Maj. Gen. Richard R. Neely, at https://www.il.ngb.army.mil/. For further information, we suggest that you write to the National Guard Bureau, Office of Information and Privacy (NGB/JA-OIP), 111 South George Mason Drive, AH2, Arlington VA 22204-1373 or email ngb.foia@mail.mil.


                Morning reports from November 1, 1912 to 1959 and copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912 - 1943 for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov


                We searched the National Archives online catalog and located the record series Records of Divisions ca. 1918-1942 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes records of the 42nd Infantry Division (see P 1241-42, Boxes 1-116). For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email: archives2reference@nara.gov.


                Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


                We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!