1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2021 1:12 PM by Shannon Kerner

Seeking Navy records of Walter C Ayers

Robert Ayers Newbie

My father, Walter C. Ayers, was born on 4/6/1898, enlisted probably Norfolk, VA in the US Navy on 2/26/1919. I have his dog tag. He served two enlistments and was discharged as Yeoman First. He had medical problems from service incurred injuries and received a small pension until about 1932. I believe his first post after training was as Fireman on the USS Tacoma. As a yeoman, he then served on a rescue vessel in the Caribbean. I believe he was first discharged in the Canal Zone, but reupped and then was hospitalized in Charleston. He was married in 1926 and was no longer in Navy. He died in Roanoke, Virginia in 1962 and my mother was offered the standard burial plaque. I would like more details about his service record, positions, length of duty in individual places.

• Re: Seeking Navy records of Walter C Ayers
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Mr. Ayers,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships, ca. 1801 - 1940 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of the USS Tacoma for 30 January 1904 - 30 January 1924. We also located the Muster Rolls of Naval Ships and Shore Establishments, 1/1898 - 6/30/1939 in Record Group 24 that include the muster rolls of the USS Tacoma. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!