1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2021 2:02 PM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military records of Edward Wilson


      Hello, I'm from Australia and I have currently found out that my great great great grandfather, EDWARD HENRY WILSON, is an African American from Boston, Massachusetts USA, and that he was in the war in 1916. He's enlistment date was the 29th March 1916, He's height was 5'8.5' weight 156lbs he's age was 25 years old and he was dark skin, black hair, and had a few tattoos as well. I'm seeing if I could see if anyone had any photos of him in the army would really appreciate it.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Edward Wilson

          Dear Ms. Rigney,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

          The use of the word negro is not politically correct in our current lexicon, please refrain from using it on this platform.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful