5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2021 2:16 PM by Lisha Penn

Seeking records of Anton Germanos

Antoine Germanos Newbie

Hi, I am seeking to know the full genealogy about the "Germanos" Family as I am building the Family tree. My grandfather, Anton Germanos, was a German officer and joined the American troops in WWII,  The question is about both the Family genealogy and the Person. Thank You for Helping

• Re: Seeking records of Anton Germanos
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Ms. Gremanos,

Found a James Germanos and a Elias Germanos please see record below. If you could help provide any additional details on Anton that would be super helpful such as place of birth and DOB. Also if you could tell me if Anton had any additional fist names such as Anthony or Anthon Germano I'm seeing  lots of Germano and not as much Germanos

Please take note that at the time he was not a citizen yet and  check his Nativity.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/193377561/anton-germano

Name:Eliase Anton Germanos
          Event Type:Marriage
          Event Type:Marriage
          Marriage Date:1905
          Marriage Place:Ohio, West Virginia, United States
          Spouse's Name:Maggie John Rohana

Field TitleValueMeaning
          ARMY SERIAL NUMBER3524108835241088
          NAMEGERMANOS#JAMES#J########GERMANOS#JAMES#J########
          RESIDENCE: STATE53OHIO
          RESIDENCE: COUNTY059GUERNSEY
          PLACE OF ENLISTMENT5340FT HAYES COLUMBUS OHIO
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY0808
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH0909
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR4444
          GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATIONPVT#Private
          GRADE: CODE8Private
          BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATIONNO#No branch assignment
          BRANCH: CODE02No branch assignment
          FIELD USE AS DESIRED##
          TERM OF ENLISTMENT5Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
          LONGEVITY######
          SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL0Civil Life
          NATIVITYL3FRENCH ASIATIC POSSESSIONS or FRENCH INDIA or FRENCH INDO-CHINA or SYRIA
          YEAR OF BIRTH2222
          RACE AND CITIZENSHIPJWhite, not yet a citizen
          EDUCATION62 years of college
          CIVILIAN OCCUPATION992Undefined Code
          MARITAL STATUS6Single, without dependents
          COMPONENT OF THE ARMY7Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          CARD NUMBER##
          BOX NUMBER09120912
          FILM REEL NUMBER3.3343.334

Field TitleValueMeaning
          ARMY SERIAL NUMBER3330911633309116
          NAMEGERMANOS#ELIAS#V########GERMANOS#ELIAS#V########
          RESIDENCE: STATE32PENNSYLVANIA
          RESIDENCE: COUNTY003ALLEGHENY
          PLACE OF ENLISTMENT3298PITTSBURGH PENNSYLVANIA
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY1616
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH1010
          DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR4242
          GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATIONPVT#Private
          GRADE: CODE8Private
          BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATIONBI#Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
          BRANCH: CODE00Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
          FIELD USE AS DESIRED##
          TERM OF ENLISTMENT5Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
          LONGEVITY######
          SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL0Civil Life
          NATIVITYN9ALBANIA
          YEAR OF BIRTH1515
          RACE AND CITIZENSHIP1White, citizen
          EDUCATION0Grammar school
          CIVILIAN OCCUPATION101Bookkeepers and cashiers, except bank cashiers
          MARITAL STATUS2Married
          COMPONENT OF THE ARMY7Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          CARD NUMBER##
          BOX NUMBER06410641
          FILM REEL NUMBER1.1581.158
          2 people found this helpful
              Antoine Germanos Newbie

Mr. Schneider

I can't be more thankful; Thank you a Million for these records and you made me notice the "Germano" detail which is very important as My Grandfather Brother is a Germano but He lives since Long Time in Brazil.

The issue about my Grandfather is that neither myself or my Father who Grew up in a Private School where he resided until he got 18 know much about Him.

Antoun : in French - The 2nd Brother is Najib Germanos who lived in France and got to be a General in the French Army, His son as Well, named Raymond Germanos & he was The Head of the Multi-National "Desert Storm" war against Iraq to Liberate Kuwait. We are in Touch and know Him well. As For the Brazil Branch, My Father Used to go there and he knows Them very well. He cut off with them though so I can't bring from them much information wether "Anton" was a Germano or Germanos ( The Point is : 2 Brothers of Anton my Grandfather have as family name: Germano for the First, Germanos The 2nd )

Antoun can be written: Antoon, Anthon, Anton, Antoine ( He lived in France for a while When he Escaped from Germany at the Beginning of WWII as my Grandmother was Jewish ) Anthony is probable if he altered his name for this reason ( Probability ) His DOB is around 1904 or so. My Father is born on 1936 and was His Eldest.

In Fact what I am trying to Find are His Records in the US Army as a USA citizen for my own citizenship status. My father doesn't know where he was Born.

Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Germanos,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If your grandfather served as an officer with the German army, it is unlikely that he fought alongside U.S. troops during World War II since these countries were on opposing sides of the war. Please see Military history of the United States during World for more background information.

For World War II German Armed Forces personnel information, we suggest that you contact the Bundesarchiv - Abteilung PA, Eichborndamm 179, 13403 Berlin, Germany. The email address is poststelle-pa@bundesarchiv.de.

We also suggest that you review the website FamilySearch Germany Genealogy for research tips and/or resources for you to begin researching your family genealogy.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Antoine Germanos Newbie

I sincerely apologize; I am not German. Otherwise I would have taken into consideration your advice.  In the matter of fact; I will provide you some specific intimate information. My grandmother, Manashe was Swiss and Jewish. A senior Officer most likely to be promoted during war time, my Grandfather; Anton German Had to escape from the military as his wife was from an upper aristocratic class, she left her family and married the Christian German Army officer in 1936. Therefore she was well-known to be Jewish and coming from a family of Bankers in Geneva. For the Sake of his pregnant wife, he escaped from Germany with her and their eldest son : Josef my Father. Unfortunately I don’t know the details of the trip that lead them to France, what I know is it was an extremely difficult experience and my Grandma Died when Giving Birth to my Uncle Jacques when they reached France. The French habitants of village where they stayed, weren’t used to deal with a strict high ranked German officer who has just lost his wife leaving for him alone 2 Boys with 3 years difference to raise up alone. “ Germanos Rhinoceros “ came up from the French villagers who offered to help breastfeeding the baby and taking care of the kids. “Germanos Rhinoceros” was a typical French way for a friendly approach.

His Brother as well German officer followed him and became a Germanos and they moved to Paris. My father and his Brother grew up in the Jesuit Fathers Monastery and Private 24/7 school in Beirut- Jamhour , Lebanon . They both never knew their Father or Mother as he got married again.  When they became 18 years old (my father stayed 3 more years faking he wants to become a monk for not leaving his brother) they flew up to Switzerland where their Mother‘s family refused to receive them, however they inherited an extremely relevant Trust Amount. They visited Brazil to meet their uncle; they were welcomed as their own children. My Father stayed with his Uncle in France, Jacques in Brazil; where after getting his Mechanical Engineering degree died in a car accident at 25 years old . This is why I am looking up for lost records as My Grandfather joined American troops that came to Europe at the end of WWII and my step Grandmother was a USA citizen. This is all what the 3 years old boy, my father, knows.

Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Germanos,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

If he joined the U.S Armed Services after WWII, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If your grandfather obtained US Citizenship, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created September 27, 1906 through March 31, 1956 within Certificate Files (C-Files). Beginning April 1, 1956, INS began filing all naturalization records in a subject’s Alien File (A-File). C-Files and certain A-Files may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

We also suggest you review these websites Chapter 5 - Child Residing Outside of the United States (INA 322); For Children Born Outside the US; Military Naturalization During WWII; Can I get US citizenship through a grandparent? and/or seek legal advice from an Immigration attorney.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!