5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2021 9:35 AM by Ceri McCarron

Seeking military history of Edward Henry Vogel (cont.)

Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

I have already been over and through the various links you outlined in your response.  I see from the text of my original inquiry that I did not clearly identify the 154th Infantry Brigade that included the 308th Infantry Regiment.  Can we possibly determine what elements of the 308th Infantry Regiment's companies were part of the Lost Battalion, actually the Lost Brigade?  In other words, was Edward Henry Vogel's Company C part of the 154th's Infantry Brigade that was contained in the Lost Brigade, or a member of the left or right flank that were unsuccessful in moving forward against the German defense at that time? Much thanks as always,

• Re: Seeking military history of Edward Henry Vogel (cont.)
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mark,

I sent you a link earlier not sure if you read it or it did not show up but here is a description of those events and who may have been there. Not sure when morning reports came out but that would probably be a way to verify your theories. Also might want to reach out to the WW1 Museum for additional information.

Image result for Lost Battalion ww1 war reports

Image result for Lost Battalion ww1 war reports

And as for 'battalion' part of the name, the force in the Charlevaux Ravine was actually elements from all three battalions of the 308th Infantry, an element of 3rd Battalion/307th Infantry, some shot up elements of Companies C and D of the 306th Machine Gun Battalion, three men from Battery D of the 1st Battalion/305th Field Artillery Regiment, and a couple men from the 2nd Battalion/302nd Ammunition Train. All tolled, the force under Major Whittlesey and Captain McMurtry there in the Charlevaux was just shy of 700 men. A full battalion at war strength at the time mustered 1,200 men, with about 1,000 of them toting rifles on the line. So as we can see Whittlesey actually commanded what in a later war would be termed a 'mixed unit' that was less than even battalion strength.

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mark,

Look what I found in the New York WW1 database please see below also shows him as slightly wounded.

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

Mark Thickpenny Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for your latest response.  I did not see the map before and i am not sure why.

Looks like you resolved the ongoing question - Where's Waldo...that is Edward Henry Vogel, that should have been among the Lost Brigade/Battalion given all the facts that converge on his participation, was previously wounded, however slightly, and I believe therefore did not participate in that epic event starting on October 3rd!  Great research on your part!

From your position and access, can you do screen shots of what you want me to see, and either pass them through History Hub or my email?  Please let me know and I can react accordingly.

Lucky Edward Henry Vogel!  This "Lost Battalion" epic was a precursor to the December 16, 1944 encirclement of Bastogne guarded by the 101st Airborne, 969th Artillery Battalion and Combat Command B of the 10th Armored Division.  Reaction was the "approximately the same" by each leader - NUTS!  As Mark Twain said, "History may not repeat itself, but it certainly rhymes!"

Mark C. Thickpenny

Ceri McCarron Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Thickpenny,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Please refer to our post at https://historyhub.history.gov/message/29849

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Ceri McCarron Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Thickpenny,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

Unfortunately, we are unable to correct the error.  Mr. Schneider will need to repost the image.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!