1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2021 2:32 PM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking naturalization record for Harry Hale

    Joyce Chancey Newbie

      I am looking for my grandfather, Harry H  Hale, who was born in England or Wales in September 1868.  His parents were Isiah Hale and Ann Davis according to the 1900 United States Census for KS - Crawford County - Baker Township.  He was listed in the Naturalization Column as Naturalized in 1888.  My question are  (1) How do I obtain this Record? and (2)  How do I find his Citizenship Record?  He was a Coal Miner in Southeast, KS.

        • Re: Seeking naturalization record for Harry Hale
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Chancey,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. We suggest that you contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) via email at kansascity.archives@nara.gov to determine if records from lower courts are available. In your request, please include the name of the petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-KC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          If the records are not available, we suggest that you request a search for his naturalization records from the Kansas Historical Society.We also suggest that you review NARA’s Naturalization Records website and the FamilySearch Research wiki United States Naturalization and Citizenship for an overview of the naturalization process.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!