3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2021 8:28 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking photos of submerged diesel submarine

Tom Boyer Adventurer

I'm looking for photos of submerged diesel submarines near the surface preferably off the coast of Vietnam in the 1970s. I suspect there are photos  taken by surveillance planes or helicopters of submerged submarines in the clear waters of the Tonkin Gulf. There were many aircraft aloft looking for Chinese contraband and standing guard duty for downed airplanes so it seems reasonable someone of these aircraft crew took a photo of a submarine for official purposes. I specifically would like photos of diesel submarines and not nuclear submarines.

• Re: Seeking photos of submerged diesel submarine
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Boyer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Photographs of various U.S. Navy activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Additionally, we suggest that you contact the Operational Archives Branch, Naval History & Heritage Command via email at archives@navy.mil, as well as the United States Navy Submarine Force Library and Museum.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Tom Boyer Adventurer

Jason, my feeble attempts to search NARA's photos didn't come up with anything. I'm wondering if I should be looking for anti-submarine operations/pictures instead of looking up submarine photos. I have a photo of the periscopes of my boat (USS TRIGGER) taken by an ASW helicopter. It was in the NARA files under TRIGGER.

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Boyer,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

Please note that we can not guarantee that such a photograph was taken to begin with, that it was retained as a permanent record if it was taken, or that if it was retained that it has been digitized and placed online. As we suggested in our previous reply, these three institutions are your best options. Please email them for further assistance. In regards to RDSS, be advised that their staff are currently teleworking and will not be able to provide access to finding aids and photographs that are not already in the Catalog.  NHHC and the United States Navy Submarine Force Library and Museum also may be operating under similar restrictions.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!