6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2021 12:33 AM by Diane Schwaighofer

Seeking father's serial number in mother's military records

Diane Schwaighofer Adventurer

Would my mother's military records contain any information about her husband's serial number? My mother enlisted in Des Moines, Iowa Feb. 22, 1944 and was discharged at Minter Field, California on June 26,1944, due to pregnancy. Her serial number was A702983.  I am wondering, did they allow married women to enlist?  If so, wouldn't there be identifying information about her husband--in case of death, etc.?  Her maiden name was Lone Louise Larsen.  Nelson was her married name.  She was born, September 4, 1925, and raised in Sioux City, Iowa.

• Re: Seeking father's serial number in mother's military records
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Diane,

Do you have any information at all on your mothers family at all. Such as her fathers name and mothers name. Just let you know I'm looking at Sioux City Iowa but when looking at the Census for 1930 actually they may have been in Woodbury County Which is where Sioux City is actually apart of Woodbury and Plymouth Counties. So here is what I found and look who is living with them at the bottom a Elsie M. Larsen and she is from Denmark, this may be your mothers mom or your fathers mother. Anyway please look at the spelling of your mom possibly listed as Altha L. Larsen your mother may have changed her first name from Altha to Lone?

Also has your mother passed?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/202241825/altha-l.-larsen

Name:Altha L Larsen
          Event Type:Census
          Event Date:1930 •
          Event Place:West Fork Township, Woodbury, Iowa, United States •
          Event Place (Original):West Fork, 74, Woodbury
          Sex:Female
          Marital Status:Single
          Race:White
          Race (Original):White
          Birth Year (Estimated):1925
          Birthplace:Iowa •
          Father's Birthplace:Iowa
          Mother's Birthplace:Iowa
          Relationship to Head of Household:Daughter
          Relationship to Head of Household (Original):Daughter
          Sheet Letter:A
          Sheet Number:5

Household

Role

Sex

Birthplace

Albert H Larsen

Head

Male

Iowa

Esther R Larsen

Wife

Female

Iowa

Evelyn M Larsen

Daughter

Female

Iowa

Elsie R Larsen

Daughter

Female

Iowa

Altha L Larsen

Daughter

Female

Iowa

Alfred M Larsen

Son

Male

Iowa

Elsie M Larsen

Mother

Female

Denmark

Elliot Schneider

2 people found this helpful

Hi Elliot,

Yes, I do have information about my mother and her family.  Here's what I know about her father:

Iowa, U.S., Marriage Records, 1880-1951

Name

Amund Larson

Male

Race

White

Birth Date

Birth Place

Morusy—a Village in Poland

Marriage Date

3 Jul 1906

Marriage Place

Woodbury, Iowa, USA

Father

Larz Asmussen

Mother

Kristine Peterson

Spouse

Inga Halverson

I know that he immigrated from Norway to work on the railroad and I still have relatives in Iowa.  I know Inger was born and raised in Sioux City, as was Ione.  I'd have to dig out any further information I have about her in my piles of correspondence over the years.  My mother was so devastated by William she just didn't talk much about  her family either.  I don't know if I posted it or not, but here is Ione's S.S.# 479-20-0065.  She was working as a photographer's assistant in Woolworth when she met my father.   I know I posted her Serial Number, but in case you don't have it, it was A702983.  She enlisted in Des moines 2/22/1044, Iowa and was discharged at Minter Field in, Ca.6/26/1944.  The correct spelling for this Larson is with an o rather than an e.

I have been trying to check out Roger Roy Nelson, who you feel may be my grandfather.  I have talked with the Dakota County Historical Society about the Hastings State Hospital, where he died and then was buried in their cemetery.  I have tried to the worldcat.org website that contains everything from admittance to death records, but I am so limited in my technology skills, I can't make it work for me.  I am writting, calling, emailing everydat, but with some many places closed, I'm not having much luck.

I had wondered if Roy had taken his family to Minnesota, after William was born, then William went back to California when he was old enough to work.  Don't know, but when I called the Iowa National Guard and talked about units on their base back then, I was told that the 34 Division in Iowa, as I understand it, was sent for further training to Minnesota.  I don't know if that has to do with anything, but if Roy is W.R. father, then it may mean he enlisted in Minnesota.  Going to stop now or I'll make you as "nuts" as I am over all this.  Thanks for sticking with me.

Diane

1 person found this helpful
                  Elliot Schneider Ranger

Diane,

Found your mothers birth certificate. Click on the image that I've posted to enlarge the image. Also again when searching please see that your mothers last name on her birth certificate says Larson not Larsen. Same with her first Iona and not Lone on the birth certificate, so my question is when did your mother change her first and last names? 1930s census says her name is now Ione my guess is the health department spelled her name wrong in the first place when creating the birth certificate.

Also looks like your mother had re-married and became Lone L. Tedei and she passed away in Illinois her husband was Louis Tedei. Also found the 1930 Census in case you were interested.

Hi Elliot,

Yes I have these records and Yes, my mother married Louis Tedei in 1947.  I'd have to look it up, to be sure, in my scrapbook.  I have two half-siblings--Randy and Regina.  Mom died in 1991 at the age of 65.  I know about and have communicated with some of my relatives still living in Norway.  My problem is that my mother was so furious with my father that she ripped up every shred of evidence that he ever existed before I was old enough to ask questions and would not talk about him.  I have surmised that he was in the army, rather than the air force, because she always said, "shipped out" rather than "flew out."  Someone said he may not have notified the military or his family of his quickie marriage, so if he died in the war; his parents were notified rather than her.

I have just learned that those who enlisted or were drafted were sent to Induction Stations before their training post.  I am hoping that if I can get those records my dad's serial number and other identifying information will be included.  They would have to have a way to notify a spouse of a serious illness or death.

11/04/1918, who served in WWII, died  09/29/1967, was buried somewhere else, then in 2009 his body was reburied in the Los Angeles National Cemetery in 2009.  I called them today.  I told them why I was calling, offered to give his parents' name, DOB, etc., but they refused to verify anything unless I could prove I was his next of kin.  The guy was borderline rude.  I don't know how to prove a relationship with someone who been dead any where between 43 and 75 years.  I don't know how any confidence could be broken with a "yes" or "no" answer to "Was he born in Los Angeles<" or "Was his mother's name Emma Melstry Nelson?"

Jamie Vander Clute suggested I use eVetRecs to try to get my mom's records.  I definitely willl?  With the National Archives closed, indefinitely, can you think of any other place that might have the Induction Records?  (Hope they didn't burn up in the fire of 1973.

Again, thanks for your on-going help and support.  I just can't believe with all the wonderful help I am receiving, we can't find him.  Stay safe.

Diane

Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Schwaighofer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Members of the Women’s Army Corps (WAC) were permitted to be married but were expected to leave the WACs if they became pregnant, as your mother did. We suggest that you request a copy of her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted personnel of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis (NPRC). In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Thank you for your help. .Since the National Archives is closed, indefinitely, do you know of any other source that might provide the information obtained during my mother's induction.  She enlisted in Des Moines, Iowa but have not idea where she was inducted.  I have been trying to find out what happened to my father far more than 50 years.  My mother's records may solve the mystery of whether or not he was a hero or just some guy that loved and left her.  Even though she remarried, she still had so much pain from her past. Again, thank you for your help.  I feel blessed to know so many people care.

Diane