1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2021 11:03 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking visa records of my grandfather

    Lidia Raucci Newbie

      I have a Visa Number for my Grandfather for 1933 and wish to view the document. How do I do this?

        • Re: Seeking visa records of my grandfather
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Raucci,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Name Index, 1910 - 1973 for the Central Decimal Files, 1910 - 1963 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that includes many index references to file 811.111 [name]. This file number is for documents relating to the applications from foreign citizens for a visa to enter the United States.  For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov


          For visa files from American citizens for 1914 through March 1940, please contact RDT2.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We suggest that you review the NARA website about the Department of State Visa Records for more information.  


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!