2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2021 10:56 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking records of uncle's death due to Spanish Influenza

    David Richards Newbie

      My uncle died during the Spanish Influenza epidemic in 1918. He was a soldier (U. S. Army) stationed at Camp Devens, Massachusetts and was, I believe, awaiting deployment to Europe. How can I find information about precisely when, where, and how he died, plus any other information pertaining to his time in service? I have his full name, date and place of birth, next of kin, and Army unit.

        • Re: Seeking records of uncle's death due to Spanish Influenza
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          If you would like to share the information on your uncle that would be great. Many here are able to provide assistance

          • Re: Seeking records of uncle's death due to Spanish Influenza
            Shannon Kerner Adventurer

            Dear Mr. Richards,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The information you seek may be contained in his burial case file. Burial case files for 1915 to 1939 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            We also suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!