1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 9, 2021 11:28 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking Italian POW records in Algeria & France

Giu Man Newbie

My uncle was a soldier of the Italian army captured by the US Army on 12 July 1943. I am looking for records of his POW imprisonment in Algeria and later in France during WWII. He received the following POW number 81-I-158894 and he was detained in the 61st Station Hospital (Algeria). His name appears on a list of this hospital dated 10 October 1943. I do not have any other information aside from his death on 17 October 1944 at the 43rd General Hospital (France). Would I find records of his captivity at the US National Archives?

• Re: Seeking Italian POW records in Algeria & France
          Rachael Salyer Tracker

Dear Ms. Manzoni,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Rosters of Deceased Italian Prisoners of War, 1942-1952 in the Records of the Office of the Provost Marshal General (Record Group 389) that may include information related to your research. We also located the series Records Relating to Enemy Prisoners of War During World War II, 1942-1947 and the series General Correspondence, 1942-1947 in Record Group that contain information about Italian prisoners of war held outside of the United States. These records have not been digitized. For access to and information about them, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Next, we located the series Unit Annual Reports, 1940-1949 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) that includes one file for the 61st Station Hospital and two files for the 43rd General Hospital that may be of interest to you. Plus, we located the series Unit Histories, 1943-1946 in the Records of Mediterranean Theater of Operations, United States Army (Record Group 492) that contain records about individual Station and General Hospitals. These records do not contain information about individual patients, but they may provide some information about the facilities where your uncle was held. These records have not been digitized. Please contact RDT2 for assistance with them.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Finally, personnel records of Italian prisoners of war have been returned to Italy. For further information please write to the Ministero della Difesa-Esercito, Direzione Generale dei Servize di Commissariato e Amministrativi, Via XX Settembre No. 11, Rome, Italy or contact them via their website at https://www.difesa.it/Pagine/default.aspx.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!