9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2021 10:18 AM by Jacob Seley

    Seeking military information for Robert L Johnson

    Garren Arroita Newbie

      I am searching for my grandfather, Robert L. Johnson, who served in Australia during WWII up to mid-1944. We believe he was in the US Army , possibly a Captain. On a photograph we have of him, it states: Robert. L. Johnson; 283 Rep. Co.; A.P. O. 933; Phone M.L.X. 440.  I have been told 283 Rep Co means a replacement company but I cannot find any details. Any information anyone may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

        • Re: Seeking military information for Robert L Johnson
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have any additional information on your grandfather such as a name, DOB, place of birth?





          Elliot Schneider

            • Re: Seeking military information for Robert L Johnson
              Garren Arroita Newbie

              Unfortunately we are very limited in information. I was told he was a lawyer but unsure of how correct this is. We expect he would have been born about 1920 +/- 5yrs. A person who I have a distant DNA match with in USA believes he may have been a Captain (I don't know if you can tell by the uniform?) On the photo the A.P.O. says 923 and 933 (the 2 and 3 are on top of each other ?typo). I was always told that he had to leave Australia due to having a heart condition and was sent back to US just after my nanna become pregnant. He supposedly asked her to return to America with him but she declined. My mum was born Feb 1945 so we assume he left Australia approx July/August/September 1944.  My mum has a lot of Ancestry DNA matches in Illinois and surrounding states. Unfortunately there are no immediate family matches and some closer matches haven't responded to my request for information.  I hope I've given some info that might be of use in my search. Regards Garren


              He was supposedly based in Brisbane, Queensland

            • Re: Seeking military information for Robert L Johnson
              Jacob Seley Newbie

              Dear Mr. Arroita,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 283rd Replacement Company during WWII. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. Replacement units were often used to muster in soldiers as replacements or when a soldier is being mustered out.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!