2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2021 7:11 AM by Gal Bouton

Seeking information about Nissim and Harold Norman

Gal Bouton Newbie

Hello, For a year now I have been doing research about my Grandfather's story. He was in the British Army that came from Israel. He was captured in Kalamata on 21-4-1941 and was a pow in Stalag 344 for almost 5 years. In prison he switched identities with an Australian pilot named Harold Ashley Norman (H.A.Norman). Nissim's personal number is 23424 and POW number 6382 and Harold's personal number is 407751 and POW number 24951. Harold was captured in Libya in 27.6.1942 and was captured by the Italians after his plane crashed in bir hacheim. The Italians kept him in a room until the Germans came and took him to prison. he was taken to Stalag Luft III first, then transferred to Stalag VIII B, and at some later stage for a short period was in Stalag XI B. When he was in Stalag VIIIB, Nissim (my Grandfather) and Harold switched identities on 13-12-1943. When Harold transferred to Stalag XI B, he was in the death march in 1945 from January to April. I'm not sure that my grandfather was in the death march but Stalag 344 was evacuated on 22-1-1945. I have missing information in the time line between January and April about Nissim. After the war Nissim and Harold were in London. Harold was in the hospital for two months and he got there on 24-4-1945 . I have a picture of Nissim from 27-4-1945 in London. I'm looking for any information about Nissim and Harold. Any photo with the pow number that unfortunately I know that most of them are missing. Any records of Nissim (I have Harold's records), maybe photos. Any information can help!

• Re: Seeking information about Nissim and Harold Norman
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Bouton,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The United Kingdom’s Army Personnel Centre (APC) Historical Disclosures Section holds army service records for officers whose service ended after April 1922 and soldiers whose service ended after January 1921. APC also holds some records for the Foot Guards (not Scots Guards) back to 1750. Subject to the payment of an administration fee and provision of a copy of a death certificate (except where death was in service), certain information can be provided from the records of service of deceased service personnel on request under the Ministry of Defence publication scheme. APC can supply information to the next of kin of deceased former soldiers and officers, and more limited information to other enquirers if fewer than 25 years have passed since the death of the subject. Within the 25 year period, where the consent of the immediate next of kin has been given, some information will be released to a third party applicant.

Additionally, we suggest that you contact The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom for information about records relating to British Army activities and prisoners of war.

Finally, we suggest you contact the National Archives of Australia, P.O. Box 7425, Canberra Business Centre, ACT 2610, Australia.  The web site is https://www.naa.gov.au/ and the email address for reference inquiries is ref@naa.gov.au.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!