6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2021 12:39 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Certificate of Discharge of Jeremiah Jones

Deborah Prideaux Newbie

The person I am searching is Jeremiah Jones (1787-1874) who served as a Corporal in Capt. G.W. Camp's Company, 4th Regiment, VA Infantry during the War of 1812.  He was Honorably Discharged March 11, 1814.  He was married to Susannah Agee, October 2, 1800, in Franklin County, VA. They resided in Giles County, VA. According to Findagrave Memorial No. 50343525, he was buried in Bolin Cemetery, Athens, Mercer County,  WV.  If there is any pay voucher, that would be of interest, as well as any correspondence. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking Certificate of Discharge of Jeremiah Jones
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Ms, Prideaux,

Here is some information on your individual. Pension Records

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

Deborah Prideaux Newbie

Elliot,

I am completely shocked by all you have found on Jeremiah Jones! These documents are of immense value to those seeking membership with The Huguenot Society of North America/Colony of Virginia as well as The Jamestowne Society. I cannot thank you enough for your time and expertise.

I have another query posted regarding Jeremiah Jones' wife, Susannah Agee Jones - and this is the next hurdle. I don't know if anyone has undertaken this query just yet, but I'm trying to locate any document (be it a LW&T, land record, birth/baptism record, etc.) showing that Susannah Agee Jones was the mother of Juda Jones Tiller. Juda was born March 25, 1812 in Giles, VA to Jeremiah Jones and Susannah Agee Jones (who married on October 2, 1800 in Franklin, VA - I have that particular record.) What makes this complicated is that Juda married Kinzie Tiller on February 22, 1841. The US Federal Census of 1820, 1830, and 1840 would not have listed Juda by name as their daughter. By the time female sponses' names and children's names were added -- in 1850 -- Juda was already married and on her own.

One difficulty lies with the shifting of county lines during this time frame in VA. Buckingham County, Franklin County,  Tazewell County, and Giles County were in constant flux. This makes locating essential documents very hard, not to mention the current closures of historical societies due to the pandemic. Several courthouses were burned during the Civil War, and the respective counties - along with the Commonwealth as a whole - were not requiring official records to be maintained often until the mid-1850's. Additionally, Mercer County was still part of VA in the 1840's - up until 1863. Which county has those records??

The only record I could find was a Biblical entry in a Tiller collection stating that "Kinzie Tiller married Juda Tiller on February 22, 1841." (Obviously not much help.) But there may exist a marriage 'ledger' or record of Giles County, VA/Mercer County, WV in 1841 with the parents' names listed with the bride and the groom. I found such a record online for Mercer County for Juda and Kinzie's daughter, Minerva Elizabeth Tiller, who married Harvey Stewart Tracy on October 4, 1864.

It is without doubt or speculation that Juda Jones was the daughter of Susannah Agee Jones and Jeremiah Jones, as there is prevalent DNA among their direct line descendants. Having that document cements the relationship and again assists the descendants wishing to establish memberships in both The Jamestowne Society and The Huguenot Society of North America/Colony of Virginia.

Thank you again for your excellent research!

Deborah Prideaux

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Deborah,

Susan's family: fathers NAME WAS Matthew Susan WAS LISTED AS BEING BORN 1779

1800 Virginia Marriage for Franklin County:

1820 Census no children information.

Here is 1860 Census for Kinnzie and Juda ( click on image to enlarge)

1850 Census Kinnzie and Juda Tiller

Deborah Prideaux Newbie

Thank you, Elliot - I already had each of these items you provided. I'm continuing the search for a document with both Susannah Agee Jones' name and her daughter Juda Jones Tiller's name listed in some way.

I'm hoping there may be a marriage record book in Giles County/Mercer County from 1841 with this information.

I appreciate your research!

Deborah Prideaux

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Deborah,

Have you tried the Virginia State Archives or the Virginia Mercer County Historical Society? I also noticed that Juda was also Spelled Judah so please not that the 1860 census was taken early showing Kinzie and Judah had 6 children I also noted that Kinzie Tiller died in 1860.

I know this because Kinzie he listed with Judah and her kids on the 1860 Census, so Judah Tiller (Jones) was living by herself. Do you know if she ever moved back in with her father Jerimiah?

I contacted the Virginia State Archives and they told me the only change you might have for any type of connection is if you can find Tax/land records. Virginia archivist told me that the do not have birth records that far back.

Good luck with your continued search.

Elliot schneider

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Prideaux,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The records provided by Mr. Schneider are from the record series War of 1812 Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files, ca. 1871 - ca. 1900 in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15).  The Case File of Jeremiah Jones -- Corp George W Camp Capt Co Va Mil -- Virginia has been digitized and may be viewed in full online using the Catalog.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!