1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 29, 2021 2:27 PM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking immigration records of Yannis Leontaredis/John Luis Leon

    Helen Kaufman Newbie

      I need my father immigration records. He arrived from Athens Port of Piraeus around 1950 after Greek Civil war. On the ship he could have only his Greek name that sounds like Yannis Leontaredis, but on Elis Island his name was Americanized to John Luis Leon. He was born in Greece in 1921 and passed away as John Leon in New York, where he lived for the most of his life. Because of name change it is impossible for me to file online requests and I am unable to find necessary records. Can someone help me? Thank you in advance

        • Re: Seeking immigration records of Yannis Leontaredis/John Luis Leon
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Kaufman,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957 (T715) in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) that may contain immigration information for your father. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-NY. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          T715 is available and searchable on Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org,  There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


          We suggest that you submit a Name Index Search to the US Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) to obtain a copy of your father’s immigration and naturalization records. They should be able to search variants of his name.  You may have to submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to USCIS to obtain a copy of your father’s Alien Files (A-Files) if his arrival was after 1951 or his naturalization date was after 1956.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!