2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2021 1:43 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking if father was awarded Bronze Star & Purple Heart

    Dennis Higgins Newbie

      Can someone help me find out if my father was awarded the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart?  He was an infantry man with the 22nd Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division.  He was a replacement soldier, arriving in theater sometime around Nov or Dec 1944. He was wounded near Crailsheim, Germany on April 16, 1945.  Thanks!

        • Re: Seeking if father was awarded Bronze Star & Purple Heart
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Mr. Higgins,


          Do you have additional information on your father, such as DOB, place of birth.





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking if father was awarded Bronze Star & Purple Heart
            Thomas Richardson Tracker

            Dear Mr. Higgins,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Medals and awards information are listed in the veteran's service record, also referred to as an Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!