1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 2, 2021 3:01 PM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking letter of no record of naturalization

    Amy Battaglia Newbie

      I am gathering the required paperwork for my husband and children to have their Italian Citizenship recognized.  The Miami consulate is now requiring a certified Letter of No Record of Naturalization from the NARA.  How do I get this? I already have a certified CONE from USCIS.

        • Re: Seeking letter of no record of naturalization
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Battaglia,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives can issue a negative search letter for naturalization records, which states that a member of the reference staff searched a specific index(es) for a federal court and did not locate a record for the individual requested. Negative search letters are printed on NARA letterhead and signed by the director (or their designee) of the office issuing the letter.  We suggest that you contact the National Archives facility serving the state in which the petitioner resided to request a negative search letter. 


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!