2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2021 11:20 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking military records & information about Lionel Dufilho

John Dufilho Newbie

My father, Lionel Dufilho (now deceased) served in the US Army in WWII in the Pacific. He never discussed the war much, but I'm looking for additional information for a family history book I'm putting together. I sent in a request(about 3 months ago) to NPRC but haven't gotten any feedback as yet. If anyone can provide additional information or guidance for other sources of information, I'd appreciate it. Here's some information that I have: Lionel Leopold Dufilho who was born in 1917. He lived in Coleman, Mississippi. He enlisted in the US Army on 25 May 1942 at Camp Livingston (Louisiana). His Army Serial Number was 38172218. He served in New Guinea and the Philippines. I am seeking his OMPF, his rank, what unit he served in, what other places did he serve, and where/when he was discharged.

• Re: Seeking military records & information about Lionel Dufilho
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

John,

Here is some information regarding his hospitalization during the war, it states that he was either Cost Artillery or Anti-Aircraft Artillery Non-Airborne. I would suggest requesting his military records when the pandemic is over or NPRC in St. Louis resumes operations.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/134906679/lionel-leopold-dufilho

Full Name: Dufilho, Lionel L

Race: White (includes Mexican)

Admission Age:27

Admission Date: Jun 1945

Admission Type of Injury: Injury Type: Disease; InjuryType2: Not a traumatism

Military Service Number:38172218

Rank: Enlisted Man (includes Aviation Cadet or Student)Unit:-Branch: Coast Artillery, Anti-Aircraft Units (except Airborne)

Length of Service:3-5 yr.

Medical Diagnosis: Diagnosis: Scoliosis

Discharge Type: Disposition: Discharged or Retired for Disability, Line of Duty, No;

Final Result: Discharge/retirement: med reasons--but not for any residual condition w/ a code

Discharge Date: Oct 1945

Discharge Place: Convalescent Hospital, ZI

Notes: Invalided Home (except repatriated) during current year

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Seeking military records & information about Lionel Dufilho
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Dufilho,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. Because your request is not for emergency purposes, NPRC can not process it until public health conditions permit them to bring enough staff onsite to address non-emergency requests. When this happens it will take some time for them to work through the backlog. We can not provide any estimates at this time as to when your request will be fulfilled. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.